PDA

View Full Version : Ding Update

AJ Witt
02-18-2010, 02:02 PM
Spent most of the last two days at Ding Darling.

In the morning the usual spoons could be seen in the first pond on the left, but as usual, they were gone by 8:15 or so.

There was a feeding frenzy going on around mile marker 1.5 on the right side of the road. Probably over 100 snowies, ibis, and a few egrets mixed in there, with a special treat of a spoony showing up just for a brief second. He must've heard all the comotion and had to come and check it out for himself. Several fights broke out between the snowies. One lady told me this was the 3rd day in a row that this early morning feeding frenzy had taken place in about the same spot.

In the afternoon, on both days, there were spoons roosting in the trees on the right hand side probably about a mile in the park. You have to look closely as you can miss them easily as there is no clear opening to view them. But if you find an opening in the trees, you can get a couple nice pics!

Lots of osprey action all over the park. Just listen and you will hear them. Most of the nests that I saw had chicks in them.

The usual white pelicans were in the 2nd or 3rd pond on the left hand side. They were there both days, but just sat there like they usually do and didn't do much.

There was a reddish egret feeding in the 1st pond on the left in the afternoon.

Also saw a group of 6 white pelicans feeding in one of the ponds in the back on the left hand side. This was a special treat as they circled the pond about 4 or 5 times eating the vegetation from the bottom of the pond.

I think that's about it, not a lot of action, but enough to get some good images. If I think of anything I left out, I will post it here later.

AJ