PDA

View Full Version : Circle B Update

AJ Witt
02-18-2010, 01:54 PM
Went to Circle B this morning after Venice rookery. Got there about 10:30 and walked down by the marsh. There was virtually NO activity what so ever. Not one pelican to be seen. I probably only saw about 20 birds the hour I was there. They included coots, moorhens a couple snowy egrets and a little blue heron. I am going back this afternoon hoping for better luck. I wll post an update tonight or first thing in the morning.

AJ

Michael Pancier
02-18-2010, 03:04 PM
Went to Circle B this morning after Venice rookery. Got there about 10:30 and walked down by the marsh. There was virtually NO activity what so ever. Not one pelican to be seen. I probably only saw about 20 birds the hour I was there. They included coots, moorhens a couple snowy egrets and a little blue heron. I am going back this afternoon hoping for better luck. I wll post an update tonight or first thing in the morning.

AJ

AJ, did you walk to Lake Hancock? That's where they hang out.

David Pugsley
02-18-2010, 06:41 PM
AJ, nice to meet you today.
Sorry about the luck with the White Pelicans. It seems as if they fled town recently.
Keep in touch.

Marina Scarr
02-19-2010, 09:17 AM
Unfortunately, AJ, unless you get to Circle B really early, you may well miss a lot of bird activity. However, I have also noticed that the birds over there do not much like the cold and wind and hide out during such conditions.

Mike Nardini
02-19-2010, 08:30 PM
I have been to the Circle B about 10 times since early January. The recent cold weather killed a great number of fish and, without the abundant food supply, a lot of the white pelicans have left the area. Some have remained but the numbers are greatly diminished. Other species, e.g. sandhill cranes, egrets, spoons, limpkins are still easily spotted.

Linda Martino
02-19-2010, 10:36 PM
We were there Thursday morning early. Just missed a couple of otters but we did see some pileated woodpeckers circling a tree in what looked like a mating activity. There were a small group of pelicans but they flew out early and looked to be going over to the big lake. They did not stay in the ponds right there. Lot of crane activity.

Michael Pancier
02-19-2010, 10:45 PM
This was Circle B 6 weeks ago temps in the low 40's. Around 9-10 am.

Art Spearing
02-24-2010, 02:00 PM
Hi. This is my first post here. I just returned from Florida and can give you an update on Circle B. I was there twice between the 18th and 22nd...both morning visits. I was excited about possibly seeing the White Pelicans on Lake Hancock. The first morning. I arrrived around 7:30 only to find several flocks of pelicans flying out of the reserve. I eventually ended up at the lake, and there were no pelicans there that I could see. My 2nd visit was yesterday morning, which started out a little misty and overcast. By the time I got to the lake (around 8:30), I could see no more than 100 white pelicans accross the lake. On the positive side, I was able to photograph a variety of other birds during these 2 visits, including Limpkins, an American Bittern, a pair of Sandhill Cranes, a Green Heron, several Great Blue Herons, Tri-colored Herons, Coots (very comical) and Great Egrets.

Robert Amoruso
02-24-2010, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the update Art.

David Pugsley
02-25-2010, 04:23 PM
I was there this morning (2/25). Some White Pelicans are back, but nowhere near what we had a few weeks ago. I saw perhaps 200 take flight this morning from the back of the reserve. In my limited experience there I'd say you really have to be at the back of the reserve (Wading Bird Trail) before sunrise to have the best chance with the WPs. Once they are on Lake Hancock they tend to be at too great a distance.

BTW, I still can't feel my fingers. Why is it so stinkin' cold?!

This is from 2/4.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y239/FLS2K/4359867386_89ac7a6317_o.jpg