PDA

View Full Version : Starving photographer rescued

Desmond Chan
02-17-2010, 09:19 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/02/17/bc-starving-photographer-rescued.html

Bet he's going back.

Alfred Forns
02-18-2010, 09:53 AM
He is lucky to be alive !!!!!!!!!

Ed Cordes
02-18-2010, 01:33 PM
It never ceases to amaze me at how unprepared people can be for such extreme conditions like this guy faced! As cold as it was he could have packed 3 X what he needed and just used the wilderness as his fridge!

Marina Scarr
02-18-2010, 01:56 PM
Good point, Ed. If there is a next time, I would imagine he will choose to do things totally differently and learn from this. I imagine he got closer to the "guy upstairs" while he was out there too!

Jamie Strickland
02-18-2010, 04:55 PM
I hope there is more to that story than what I read, if he waited until the last min to go get food he has nobody to blame but himself

Roger Clark
02-18-2010, 11:23 PM
It never ceases to amaze me at how unprepared people can be for such extreme conditions like this guy faced! As cold as it was he could have packed 3 X what he needed and just used the wilderness as his fridge!

I tried that once. (Mind you I was a teenager and this is a group of teenagers story.) With 70+ pound packs we hiked into deep snow near Mt St Helens, Washington for a week in early June (long before the eruption). We packed things like canned hams (couldn't afford those fancy expensive freeze dried meals). One night we ate about half a canned ham and packed the other half in the snow for the next day. When we woke up the next morning there were bear tracks all over and no canned ham.:eek: We never heard a thing. And we cooked in our normal clothes which we then kept in our tents. We were lucky (and ignorant).

Roger