PDA

View Full Version : Fox Sparrow

Ryan Schain
02-17-2010, 08:16 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2768/4366747500_6ed13de28e_o.jpg

I didn't feel I did as well with this Fox Sparrow as I could have done yesterday, so I went out to find it again this afternoon. I found it in the same general area, and I actually got it on a decent perch. I hardly ever see these guys out of the thickets.

Shot under overcast skies with a fresh blanket of wet snow on the ground.

Canon EOS 7D
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 L IS

1/320
f/6.3
400 mm
ISO 400
+1 EV

Jean Chang
02-17-2010, 08:48 PM
Ryan,

This is a beautiful pose! I really like the pine branches that show softly on the right. I would have liked a little more room between the bird's head and the branches, but it would have to be a very careful cloning to not have it look artificial. I love everything about this shot, though. Congratulations on finding him again!

Jean

Juan Carlos Vindas
02-17-2010, 09:08 PM
Could you have moved a few steps to the right and would have gotten a cleaner BG. Love the clarity and eye contact though. Perch seems large for this bird, is this a setup?

Ryan Schain
02-17-2010, 09:12 PM
Could you have moved a few steps to the right and would have gotten a cleaner BG. Love the clarity and eye contact though. Perch seems large for this bird, is this a setup?

Any more steps to the right would have included even more pine needles from an adjacent tree :). This is not a set up perch, it's a branch that has been recently pruned. Setting up perches isn't really my style.

Thanks!

Ryan Schain
02-17-2010, 11:19 PM
Ryan,

This is a beautiful pose! I really like the pine branches that show softly on the right. I would have liked a little more room between the bird's head and the branches, but it would have to be a very careful cloning to not have it look artificial. I love everything about this shot, though. Congratulations on finding him again!

Jean

Thanks Jean!

Peter Coskun
02-18-2010, 12:50 AM
This is fantastic, great perch, great detail, and overall great find.

Arthur Morris
02-18-2010, 01:36 AM
Love the bird and the soft light. I am sort of amazed that nobody mentioned that it needs a healthy crop from the bottom. BTW, I would argue that by pruning you (or whomever) have/has altered the natural state of the perch :) Therefore, it is some type of a set-up (though "not your style").

Arthur Morris
02-18-2010, 01:36 AM
Ooops. Forgot the cropped repost.

Ryan Schain
02-18-2010, 03:31 AM
Love the bird and the soft light. I am sort of amazed that nobody mentioned that it needs a healthy crop from the bottom. BTW, I would argue that by pruning you (or whomever) have/has altered the natural state of the perch :) Therefore, it is some type of a set-up (though "not your style").

Thanks Artie!

Repost looks great, I agree fully with your crop. From what I can tell, it was pruned so the plant did not cover a bluebird box. I hope my response to Juan didn't come across as condescending to those that do set up their own perches, because it was absolutely not meant that way :). I also do see my flawed logic with the natural state argument on this one ha ha ha.

Arthur Morris
02-18-2010, 07:02 AM
YAW. Thanks for your clarification. :) And thanks for getting my drift. :) :)