PDA

View Full Version : Alone on the Southern Ocean

Jay Gould
02-17-2010, 05:05 PM
On the same night that I shot The Floating Landscape, earlier while waiting for the sun to set and create "the sky" I saw this sailboat off in the distance - boy could I relate! In 1992 I sailed my own 44' Mason sailboat from Mexico across the Pacific (25 days to the first landfall in the Marquesas Is.) and eventually to New Zealand completing the first leg of my voyage to everywhere. Those of you that have had the experience of being on the ocean in a tea cup with no land in sight I hope you enjoy and relate.........

Camera: 5D2
Capture date/time: 4 Jan 10; 20:12
Light condition: setting sun
Lens: 70-200 f/4
Focal length: 200mm
Distance:
Extender: none
Tube: none
Flash/Comp: no;
ISO: 200
Exp Prog: Tv
Speed: 1/200 sec
Aperture: f/11
Exp Comp: -1
Metering: Evaluative
WB: Auto
AF Drive: continuous
Tripod: no
Filter: none
Crop: minimal
Image Changes: none
Processed in LR 3 (beta) and then CS4 - plus Topaz Suite and Pixel Genius Sharpening.
All C&Cs gratefully appreciated!

Robert Amoruso
02-17-2010, 08:05 PM
Jay,

I like this and I know that you framed this as a ROT composition but I am going to recommend a crop from the bottom about 2/3 of the water up from the bottom.

I am a big fan of large skies but I feel that the large FG weighs the image down and keeps the viewer from enjoying the boat and the sky as much.

Jay Gould
02-17-2010, 08:27 PM
As requested - thank you, I like the repost better (so does Jackie)! :D

As a sailor I can feel the ethereal placidness that was present that evening at that moment (later, the sky burst into a rainbow of colors as seen in The Floating Landscape and another couple I am going to post) - interestingly, my brother thought that the colors were blah and that there was no composition except perhaps for a sailor.

Horses for courses!

Dave Mills
02-17-2010, 08:28 PM
Hi Jay, Agree with Robert about taking some off the bottom. This will accentuate your center of interest and the sky. The large sky emphasizes the vastness of the ocean and the insignificance of the boat in comparison. I like it also...
A 42 foot sailboat...impressive!

FLASH! Just saw the repost...looks good!

Phil Colla
02-17-2010, 10:53 PM
I remember that sunset, boy was it a good one. I like the second composition best.

Roman Kurywczak
02-18-2010, 03:01 PM
Hey Jay,
I like both.....but I will go with the OP!!!.......maybe it's that I'm just back from the serengeti and am enamored with grand spaces........I feel you captured the vastness of the ocean better in the OP......sky in the bottom crop. Both work nicely and the colors are outstanding. Very nicely done!

Todd Frost
02-19-2010, 12:34 AM
Jay, well done. Colors are fantastic. Both posts look good but agree with Roman here as I prefer the OP also. TFS
Todd

Harold Davis
02-21-2010, 09:31 AM
the light alone makes this one!! looks like you guys had a great trip! both compos have their merits. i seem more drawn to the pano. but that could change any minute!