PDA

View Full Version : 600F4 Is Lens Fogging?

Rocky Sharwell
02-22-2008, 08:07 PM
I went to the Venice Rookery today.....My 600 was taken from my house into the car for a 90 or so minute ride in the airconditioned car.

Images taken predawn looked ok---The next group of images after the sun came up but when it was still cool looked as if it was foggy when I didn'tsee any fog. Images taken with same camera and the 70-200 showed no such fog. The last group of images taken with the 600 after it got a bit warmer (and the wind picked up) looked fine--no fog.

Should I send the 600 off to Canon--as I dont recall anything like this ever happening before...

Thanks
Rocky

Jason Ambler
02-22-2008, 08:52 PM
Rocky,

It was most likely just slight condensation on one of the glass elements (like walking into a warm house with glasses on after being in the cold). Since the lenses are made of different materials it is possible that one of the "special" lenses fogged when the outer glass elements did not. (the 70-200 may have been able to acclimate more quickly as the lens elements are smaller). Since this was the first time I wouldn't be too concerned as no two photograph sessions are the same and it may have just been the conditions that day. If you see this happen again make a mental note of the conditions and compare to the last time. At least then you have something to tell canon when you send it in. If canon can not repeat the issue it will unlikely that they could fix the problem if one exists. Just my thoughts.

Jason

Alfred Forns
02-22-2008, 09:04 PM
Rocky I always leave the lens out in the car the night before I shoot If not will use a hair dryer and warm the lens before leaving the house '

Would not send lens in to Canon It all sounds normal to me !!!

Grady Weed
02-22-2008, 10:14 PM
I have had mine do the same thing. It is just the lens fogging going from cold to warm or vice versa. Nothing to worry about. Alfred makes a good suggestion.

Keith Kennedy
02-23-2008, 12:05 AM
Rocky---you are killing me! It's Feb 22 and you had to use your car air conditioner??? David and I are dying up here on the 'frozen tunda'. Went out yesterday (12F) and David slipped on the ice with all his gear (no damage to body or equipment) and my camera battery died and I could not feel my fingers. After an overnight low of 5 below, I am ready to become a full time Florida snowbird!

Keith

Alfred Forns
02-23-2008, 06:30 AM
Keith we are praying for cold !!!! You have no idea how we suffer in the winder Imagine having to carry extra water all the time to battle dehydration, cold depravation and all sort of mental anguish .... then in the summer it hibernation time in-front of a good strong AC !!!!! :eek: :D:)

Rocky Sharwell
02-24-2008, 08:08 AM
Keith,

When I went through the drive through at Starbucks yesterday I decided only an iced latte would work. Having lived in VT and NH you have my sympathies with the weather. I actually liked winter--jut thought it was a bit too long....

Rocky---you are killing me! It's Feb 22 and you had to use your car air conditioner??? David and I are dying up here on the 'frozen tunda'. Went out yesterday (12F) and David slipped on the ice with all his gear (no damage to body or equipment) and my camera battery died and I could not feel my fingers. After an overnight low of 5 below, I am ready to become a full time Florida snowbird!

Keith

Rocky Sharwell
02-24-2008, 08:20 AM
Rocky I always leave the lens out in the car the night before I shoot If not will use a hair dryer and warm the lens before leaving the house '

Would not send lens in to Canon It all sounds normal to me !!!

Thanks Al....

I was out yesterday after leaving the stuff in the car overnight--All was well until after I was on my way home with the AC cranking in the car--and I decided to try some sunset cow photography and the 70-200 fogged. I solved the problem by repositioning the car and shooting from inside the car..