PDA

View Full Version : willet on a cloudy afternoon

allanrube
02-17-2010, 09:46 AM
While shooting another species in trees near the beach, I saw a group of 3 willets coming towards me in the distance. I kept them in the corner of my eye until they got close enough to shoot. Aside from the cloudy conditions, it was hard to keep get separation and only shoot one of them. Also, which is the opposite of what I face in New England, they kept coming towards me. I must have been a funny site (but I did not see anyyone else) backing away from the birds. I did this for perhaps 20 minutes. I would shoot, they would approach, I would pick up my tripod and run 40-50 away from them and setup. Over and over.
Here is one I liked due to the water.
D300s 600 VR, 1/1250 f/8 +.3 EC (auto) iso 800 Ft. DeSoto

http://www.allanrube.com/photos/790212104_kbaxg-X3.jpg

Phillip Tomkinson
02-17-2010, 10:21 AM
Hi Allan quite nice image with pleasing tones but unfortunately the head isn't sharp as the point of focus seems to be towards the rear of the bird.
<O:p</O:p
Phil.

Michel Pilon
02-17-2010, 12:48 PM
Hello Allan,

I agree with Phillip about his comment.

I like the fact that the bird is moving towards you even if the water seems to flow fast...

Excellent exposition and nice composition...

TFS (Thanks For Sharing)

Michel

Jim Fenton
02-17-2010, 08:06 PM
Cool image, but I agree that the POF is too far back on the subject and doesn't include the head.

I would have laughed if I were watching you as I know how we usually have to pursue them and not move away :)

allanrube
02-17-2010, 09:57 PM
I know you would have laughed Jim.
Here is an attempt to "fix" the image but don't think it works.
http://www.allanrube.com/photos/790980580_2PCcj-X3.jpg

adrian dancy
02-18-2010, 12:30 PM
I like the over all affect of this image but the highlight in the eye does not look natural to me. If I were to add a highlight I would smudge an arc shape over the upper portion of the eye and have less contrast than there is already. I agree that the head does not look very sharp and may be fixed. Just my view, a mighty fine image all the same.