PDA

View Full Version : Blowing Bubbles

Vida van der Walt
02-17-2010, 03:36 AM
This is a huge rescue attempt of a shot that was very underexposed with a lot of colour casts. Normally I would bin such a shot but I rather liked the big bubble this tiny little bee was blowing. It sat deep inside the lilly and I just could not get my flash to reach. I played around with the shot on a number of occasions and will try to remember what I did to improve the shot.:)
Crp, exp, shadows, levels, colour balance, replace colour, brightness/contrast, shrp, nr.
Canon 5D Mark 11; MP E 65mm; MT 24EX
apert f16; ss 1/200; iso 200

Charles Wesley
02-17-2010, 05:49 AM
Vida,

This is very well done IMO with sharpness where you need it and great color. I feel it has an artsy look.
Thanks for sharing...

Julie Kenward
02-17-2010, 08:25 AM
Even when you mess up you manage to make an incredible image, Vida! Wow! The clarity of this and the unusual vantage point make this a one-of-a-kind. I'm floored by how extraordinary it is. You have truly found your nitche in photography...;)

Allen Sparks
02-17-2010, 10:09 AM
amazing perspective and focus is right where it needs to be. I agree with Julie, your macro shots are mind-blowing.

Vida van der Walt
02-17-2010, 10:43 AM
Hi Charles, Jules and Allen. Thank you for the great feedback and I'm glad you like it. Jules and Allen, I feel honored.:)

Ken Childs
02-17-2010, 10:45 AM
It's hard to believe this is a rescued shot!
The clarity of that bubble is fantastic.

Charles Wesley
02-17-2010, 10:53 AM
Vida,

I too have always felt you're very gifted. Agree with Ken this is a rescued image.

Please send me all your rejects...

Julie Brown
02-17-2010, 11:20 AM
Vida, I will chime in with what the others have said-well done! Your macros are always fun to look at.:)

Adrian David
02-17-2010, 01:19 PM
Excellent! I am so frustrated, that Nikon doesn't have a lens like MP E 65mm...

Mike Moats
02-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Hey Vida, not much left to say but to repeat whats already been said, excellent fine and well done on the shot.:)

Ákos Lumnitzer
02-17-2010, 04:11 PM
That's some excellent recovery. An image well worth working on and salvaging. Just love the bubble!

Vida van der Walt
02-18-2010, 05:01 AM
Hi Ken, Charles again (you are very kind), Julie, Adrian, Mike and Akos. Thank you all for your comments. It is highly appreciated.:) Adrian, I'm sooo glad I've got a Canon for exactly that reason.;)

Steve Maxson
02-18-2010, 10:43 AM
Hi Vida. Not much to add to the above, but this image is stunning with a lot of visual impact! One of the things (among many) that I like is the lighting - it doesn't look "flashed." As you say, your flash didn't reach into the flower and that may, ultimately, have been a good thing in this case. :)

Jerry van Dijk
02-19-2010, 04:03 PM
Hi Vida, if my regular images would look like your rescue attempts, I would consider myself very lucky!
Apart from the interesting subject, I think the strongest point of your image is the composition. The bee is in exactly the right position and is looking exactly in the direction following the diagonals of the petals.
I might run some noise reduction on the BG.

Vida van der Walt
02-20-2010, 03:37 AM
Hi Steve and Jerry. Thank you for looking and commenting. Highly appreciated.:) Steve, I know what you mean with the flash. I wish I was able to use my lens without flash. Jerry, you are right, it can do with one more round of nr.:)

Stu Bowie
02-21-2010, 09:10 AM
Hi Vida, not too much wrong with this, and if you hadnt mentioned that you did a lot of work on this, I wouldnt have known at all. Of course, the bubble puts this over the top.

Vida van der Walt
02-23-2010, 05:09 AM
Thank you Stu. Much appreciated.:)