PDA

View Full Version : Monitor purchase help

James Phillips
02-17-2010, 01:40 AM
I have decided to purchase a new monitor instead of going the Imac route, Seems Apple is having a few issues not yet resolved with the Imac screens so I have taken a different route.

I have my eye on 2 IPS monitors 1 is a 24" from dell

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=320-8277

Next is a 27" from Dell as well
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Monitors/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=224-8284

I'm asking for some advice as to which one of these would you guys think would be sufficient for photo editing.

Both have an IPS panel I've never had anything larger than a 19" monitor so I'm unsure if I really need the 27" but if majority recommends the larger of the 2 I have no problem buying it.

Thanks in advance.

James

Don Hamilton Jr.
02-17-2010, 07:14 AM
James, heads-up please read this link, i just returned the 24"..... :eek:
http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19305520.aspx
Also my fired Don Lacy, just returned his imac 27", for a new one as well...seems the new one out of the bob had issues.
I reordered the 22 inch DELL and i'm very happy, guys on this forum advised me to get the 22 WA... very important,,,WA...'Let me know if i be off further help.
Don

James Phillips
02-17-2010, 11:07 AM
Thanks Don,

I read thru the posts and it appears Dell has come up with an updated profile that has corrected the problems associated with the ICM profile in the color managment. I haven't read any feedback on the version 2 of this so I will follow closely. I'd like to get the 24" and use my 19" as well for the editing side and the 24" for viewing the photo the dual monitor setup but then if I go 27" there's enough screen there probably to do what ever I want anytime....

Sandra Nykerk
02-17-2010, 11:36 AM
James, I just went through this for about the third time in as many years and after extensive online research, my conclusion was that there is really very little available for the serious imager who needs to keep the price point below $3k. For various reasons, at this point I do not want a wide-gamut monitor, which ruled out the U2410. After much agonizing, I ordered a second Dell 2007 for my new computer system. It is smaller that I wanted, but I have been using one for several years and have been very happy with the color fidelity. There are very few IPS panels available and this was the solution I settled on for the time-being. Let us know what you finally decide.

Sandra

Don Hamilton Jr.
02-17-2010, 11:47 AM
Sandra, you are right on here! Seems like 3k or som however just like you i settled on hte 22 ultrasharp, and it seems perfect for my applications, however i'm going to calibrate it this wek, aftr i receive the spyder pro 3 that i bought form James.
Of course only time will tell.... nothing is simply!!!!
Don

James Phillips
02-17-2010, 11:59 AM
Thank you both for your input I will keep you informed on my purchase I already have a spyder2 calibrator so I hope I don't need to upgrade that either. I keep leaning more towards the 27" just for the ability to not use 2 monitors. The 2207WA comes highly regarded for photo editing and it has a wonderful price tag to boot. I got spoiled the other day looking at a 24" Imac and I loved the screen size.

Roger Clark
02-18-2010, 12:07 AM
There are links on my web page to monitors, plus other info:
http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/choosing_an_LCD_monitor/

Do check out the 30-inch monitors, which are great for the large megapixel images we have today. But even 30-inch monitors are only 4 megapixels. Even so, the views are stunning.

Roger

Don Lacy
02-21-2010, 10:58 AM
HI James, I ended up going with the 27 inch i5 imac I could not configure a mac pro and 24 inch quality monitor that was within 1000.00 of the imac. I went to my local apple store and tested the computer for the yellow tinge before leaving the store. My first machine had a very small defect in the screen about 1 millimeter long in the URC that my wife noticed the day after I bought it. Apple replaced it without issue in fact they were very apologetic about it, I could not be happier with the one I am using now.

James Phillips
02-21-2010, 01:50 PM
Thanks everyone for your input, I'm going to keep my eye on the results of the 24" dell monitor since they have a 2nd revision for the color issues. I wouldn't think it would affect me either way as i use a syder3 elite for calibrating my monitor. I'm currently using a 19" so moving up to the 24" will appear fairly huge plus the difference in cost I can buy a wacom Intuos 4 medium pad to photo edit. Later I'll just build another PC focused mainly for editing photos with an I7 processor and T6 board.

James

Paul Humphries
03-18-2010, 07:03 PM
I use a Dell 24" at work and have an NEC MultiSync 2490WuXi at home.
The NEC is noticeably better. Unfortunately, it's more expensive.
To calibrate the NEC monitor I bought NEC's Spectraview II software
which came with a Gretag Macbeth (now called XRite) monitor calibrator.