PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Crowned Night Heron with Crab

murray rothstein
02-22-2008, 06:19 PM
Ding Darling NWR, Sanibel, FL 2008, Canon 20D, 300mm F4 L with 1.4 extender, monopod.

Axel Hildebrandt
02-22-2008, 07:59 PM
Nice moment captured. The light looks quite harsh and the nictating membrane seems to cover the eye.

George DeCamp
02-22-2008, 10:36 PM
Hey Murray!

Love the action you captured and the bird is positioned well in the frame. Not sure if it was just the harsh light or something else but you have lost detail on the back and wings. Get any other images of this guy?

Arthur Morris
02-23-2008, 10:06 AM
Good COMP and good job of catching the POA (peak of action). Poor light angle is almost always an image killer... What is the black line around the head?

Later and love, artie

murray rothstein
02-23-2008, 04:06 PM
I think the black line is the shadow of one of his plumes. Thanks for the comments. Unfortunately, to
get a better light angle I would have to have moved either behind the bird or get in the water which is forbidden at Ding Darling.
I wonder if lowering the contrast would help.

murray rothstein
02-23-2008, 05:23 PM
Here's my feeble attempt to mitigate the effect of the hard light. Not too much improvement I'm afraid.
M

Arthur Morris
02-24-2008, 06:50 AM
Yes, the black line is a shadow of the plume. I understand that sometimes we are limited when wishing to change our perspective, but whethe one choose or is forced to work well off light-angle the results of such lighting conditions are often fatal (as your posts above prove). You needed to root for big cloud.

Another approach that might work would be to underexpose enough to save the sidelit or backlit highlights and then use lots of flash to light he shadowed side.

later and love, artie