Canon EOS REBEL XT
Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS @ 400mm
Manual mode
1/500"
F10
ISO: 200
Canon 430EX: On, Fired
LR & CS3

I cloned out a leaf that was behind some of the lower right flower petals.

Julie Brown
02-15-2010, 07:46 PM
Ken, it looks good to me. The butterfly's eye is in focus, nice composition and BG.:)

Charles Wesley
02-15-2010, 08:28 PM
Ken,

Like the color on this one. Good job getting close. I assume he fairly small and probably quick.
Thanks for sharing...

Allen Sparks
02-16-2010, 10:19 AM
beautiful color, focus and background. really nice shot. I might have wanted to see the full flower with this shot but it looks like there is an overlapping one on the right which could have caused problems.

Jonathan Ashton
02-16-2010, 02:02 PM
Very nice shot, I don't know if it was a possibility but I would have tried to get a little lower to get a more lateral view and then the proboscis would have perhaps had a clear background too.

Julie Kenward
02-16-2010, 05:08 PM
A beautiful image, Ken. I think the bf is a little centered for my taste but that's minor. Would have liked to have seen it more towards the LLC with the angle you have presented here but great focus, nice color palette and a decent enough BG at f10!

Anita Bower
02-16-2010, 05:12 PM
Lovely clarity and detail. Great colors. :)

Vida van der Walt
02-17-2010, 03:51 AM
Love the colours and pin sharp detail Ken. I would crop a little bit off the bottom but it is not a big issue. A lovely image.:)

Ken Childs
02-17-2010, 07:17 AM
beautiful color, focus and background. really nice shot. I might have wanted to see the full flower with this shot but it looks like there is an overlapping one on the right which could have caused problems.
Allen, you spotted the exact reason why it's cropped where it is. There were other flowers tangled up on the right side of the image.

Very nice shot, I don't know if it was a possibility but I would have tried to get a little lower to get a more lateral view and then the proboscis would have perhaps had a clear background too.
Due to the situation, I wasn't able to get a different angle for this shot. There was 6 feet of tall grass between me and this 'fly and the shot was taken through the only open spot. As soon as I moved after taking the shot, this 'fly was gone.You don't get a lot of second chances with these grass skippers. :)

Love the colours and pin sharp detail Ken. I would crop a little bit off the bottom but it is not a big issue. A lovely image.:)
That's just me and my "I have to stick with standard printing ratios" hangup. The majority of my images will be cropped so they'll fit into one of the standard printing shapes even though I probably won't be printing most of them. I don't do a lot of free-form cropping. :)

Ákos Lumnitzer
02-17-2010, 04:26 PM
Wonderful colors, so clear and sharp. Congrats Ken. :)