PDA

View Full Version : Bugling Bull

Harold Brewer
01-02-2008, 09:09 PM
Hi everyone this is the first time I have ever been on a forum so I am a little on the uneasy side. So here it goes I took this shot over a year ago in Rocky Mountain National Park. I would like to hear comments on the composition of this shot! What do you think? I thought that it is good because I was trying to get all of his antlers in the shot.

I was using a Canon Digital Rebel with a 28-300 Tamron Zoom Lens set at 300 mm
shutter speed is 1/80 s at f8 and ISO at 800

Linda Robbins
01-02-2008, 11:21 PM
Hi Harold, Welcome to BPN!

Nice behavior capture with soft even light. I would suggest that the composition would be stronger if you had pointed your camera a little more to the right and just a tad up which would have given you a bit more room in front while still including all of that impressive rack! Looking forward to seeing more of your posts!

Linda Robbins

D. Robert Franz
01-02-2008, 11:37 PM
Harold, No need to feel uneasy and I hope we can all help you improve your craft. Cropping a animals body for a tight image is tricky business.. Here I know your trying to emphasize the antlers but your cropping where you can see a bit of the front leg is a bit of a problem and your bull is looking out of the frame on the right and is to close to that side of the frame. With your zoom you could have frame him a bit looser showing more or all of his front leg and giving him some room on the right side of the image. I must say you had some nice soft light and the exposure seems dead on.....

Jasper Doest
01-05-2008, 06:03 AM
Harold, a warm welcome to BPN. I think Robert gave some very usefull comments here. You chose a difficult animal for a frame filling portrait as the antlers are soo big. What really impresses me how close you could get to this animal. I'm not used to that at the other side of the pond. If it is common that wildlife approaches you like this I would say you have yourself a nice little project. I'd love to see this one with a wider angle, placed in its environment.