PDA

View Full Version : Lesser Redpoll Carduelis cabaret

Jonathan Ashton
02-15-2010, 03:58 AM
I have waited years and years to get a shot of one of these little critters! They are not very common in my neck of the woods but at last the opportunity presented itself at my new hide location. He was there and gone in a matter of about 30 sec and has not returned since. Nevertheless I got my all important first image.
Camera Model Canon EOS 50D
Tripod Mongoose head
Firmware Firmware Version 1.0.7
Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/800
Av( Aperture Value ) 7.1
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation -2/3
ISO Speed 200
Lens EF500mm f/4L IS USM
Flash Off
White Balance Mode Auto
AF Mode AI Servo AF

All comments welcome.

Scott Frye
02-15-2010, 05:45 AM
Congrats on the lifer -- for me too much space on the left and I'm thinking that a vertical crop on the bird will best show off this rare bird for you

Axel Hildebrandt
02-15-2010, 06:10 AM
It's always a treat to see redpolls. I like the perch, pose and BG and wish for a better light angle. It looks as if the bird moved his head while you made this image.

Jonathan Ashton
02-15-2010, 07:25 AM
It's always a treat to see redpolls. I like the perch, pose and BG and wish for a better light angle. It looks as if the bird moved his head while you made this image.

Scotyt, yes I was undecided, I did try a vertical crop but in the end went for a landscape.
Spot on Axel, the little blighter was twitching all the time!

Julie Brown
02-15-2010, 08:51 AM
Jonathan, I know how exciting it is to get a first image of a bird, even if it is not a perfect capture! Good for you, I think it is a pleasing image.:)

Daniel Cadieux
02-15-2010, 09:35 AM
Always a thrill to get the "first" image of a wanted species! I like how it posed atop the small twig fro you. I agree it looks like movement on the face, and I wish for a better HA. Hopefully those will get better once this guy decides to show up again (keep the feeder filled...if it knows it has a reliable food source it will come back!)