PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop CS or not?

Bob Sumitro
02-14-2010, 11:30 PM
Hi guys,<o></o>I need some advice on photoshop CS.
<o></o>At the time being I do not use nor have a photoshop CS for post processing. My post processing workflow, ever since I joined the digital world about 4 years ago, has always been and is really simple.

I use Canon DPP for raw conversion. I usually only set the white balance, adjust brightness, then RGB sharpness, contrast and brightness, crop when necessary and then convert to jpeg. Then if I share it with others by email or web posting, I resize the images with Canon zoom browser. I also have Lightroom 2, but I use it mostly for processing images that I scan from film. I still shoot film with my rangefinder and scan the film with epson scanner, and process the scanned images with lightroom cause with LR I can do a WB correction with jpeg or tif files.

Anyway, I’m considering getting a photoshop CS, either CS3 if it’s still available at a reseller here, or a CS4. My questions are: How important is Photoshop CSx for bird photography? Is it a must have software? If I don’t buy a CS, I consider the price at $690 to be expensive, can I get by with just DPP and zoombrowser, or Lightroom?

<o></o>Thanks in advance guys,
bob

Ian McHenry
02-15-2010, 12:13 AM
Hi Bob
A couple of years ago I took the big step for me of buying Photoshop Elements which meets my needs pretty well.
A negative was not having Quick Mask with Elements but Topaz came to the party with Remask 2 which also works on IrfanView.The Adobe CS are well out of my price range but you can get a free trial here:
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshop/ Can also get an Elements trial here:
https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?promoid=DZHDI&product=photoshop%5Felements
I am at present having a trial of CS4 but more of a curiosity exercise, but I do like the "Vibrance" setting on CS4.
Cheers: Ian Mc

Bob Sumitro
02-15-2010, 01:05 AM
Hi Ian,
thanks very much. Yes the CS is really expensive that's why I wonder if I can get by without one.
IIRC, I have photoshop element that came bundled with the epson scanner I bought, I think it's PS3 but I'm not sure. I haven't installed it cause it's one of the softwares that came with the scanner that I didn't install.

I tried a trial version of CS several years ago, the version before CS3.. is it CS2? Anyway, during that trial period I found that post processing with it was a daunting task for me :o. It's just really difficult, so after the 30 day trial, I didn't purchase the software.

Frankly I didn't consider getting photoshop CS until I read the chapter on photoshop workflow in Artie's ABP II. The instructions in that chapter makes post processing with CS looks like an easy task.

bob

Ian McHenry
02-15-2010, 05:54 AM
Hi Bob
I can identify where you are coming from.
To me the joy of photography is squeezing the shutter and hopefully catching the moment.
Digital photography editing is way too time consuming and tricky if a firm base has not been established although Artie's basics gives a good start.
It would be good to be on the same page as Artie,Robert O'Toole,Robert Amuroso Fabs & Alfred but this is the optimal while I'll plod along trying to integrate a few more bits and pieces and trying to remember always to go for just one special interest point in all my images.
PS I also find both the free version of Imagenomic's Noiseware and the standalone Noise Ninja an integral part of my editing and the version 2 of Topaz Detail is worth a trial.
Cheers: Ian Mc

Bob Sumitro
02-15-2010, 08:54 AM
Hi Ian,
thank you very much for your advice. I'll make do with what I have now.
I just looked for the PS elements that came with my scanner, I found it in drawer :D and turns out it's PS Elements 6 not 3. I just installed it and tried it. Following Artie's instruction in ABP II sure make things that much easier for me, thanks Artie.
Thanks again Ian.
bob

Roger Clark
02-15-2010, 10:31 AM
Bob,

If you are getting by at the moment and are satisfied, then there is little reason for getting more advanced software. If you do make the choice for photoshop, note that CS5 is about to come out, so it might be good to wait. Also, a way to save money might be to see about a class on photoshop (not sure what might be in your area) (or one on photography) where you can get photoshop at the educational discount price. The class + photoshop may be lower cost than photoshop alone.

In my view, important aspects (must haves) of post processing workflow are: 16-bit image editing, curves, levels, feathered selections, and color management with ICC profiles. I'm not sure what image editing systems have all of these. Then add on tools to make the above easier, like quick selection tools, tools to refine edges, etc. Photoshop certainly has these, and regardless of what software, operating these tools is an art, taking years of experience.

Roger

Bob Sumitro
02-15-2010, 10:05 PM
Hi Roger,
thank you very much. As a guy who's satisfied with only DPP and zoombrowser, I'm pretty sure that PS6 will be enough and keep me busy for quite some time :D
In my trial in using PS6 last night, I noticed that it doesn't process 16-bit image. I converted (with DPP) one image from raw to 16 bit tif, and when I opened it with PS6 there's a popup said that it needs to be resized or flattened, so I resized it.
thanks,
bob

Gail Miller
02-20-2010, 09:31 PM
I used Elements and during that time I visited the Photoshop website quite often looking at CS4. I got something in the mail offering me CS4 at a reduced price (under $350, best I remember) because I already had Elements. I think, if you have Elements, you could ask for the upgrade. Gail

Alfred Forns
02-20-2010, 09:51 PM
Hi Bob Today pressing the shutter is only half the image, the post image editing seems to be a necessity.

You could limit yourself to shooting jpeg and letting the camera process the image but will be loosing out in a lot of quality and fun.

Using PS has lots of advantages over Elements as Roger pointed out, probably the biggest is working in 16 bit !! Price wise there are ways getting around it ... one is signing up for a photo course at a local Jr college, will get you a student card and lots of discounts for all software for one year !!!

Matthew Pontiff
02-20-2010, 10:31 PM
Does PS offer something that you need or would make processing your photos better? If yes, then by all means, upgrade. Like previously mentioned, CS5 is coming out soon so it'd make sense to wait for that. You can usually get an upgrade price (half price) from a PS Elements license so look into that if you decide to get PS.

Matt

David Gancarz
02-22-2010, 03:36 PM
Bob: If you qualify, don't overlook Adobe's significant academic discounts. See http://www.adobe.com/education/purchasing/education_pricing.html.

Bob Sumitro
02-23-2010, 12:36 AM
Thank you guys

I'm gonna have to stick with PSE 6 for a while and when I think I need better software, i'll get either elements 8 or wait for CS5. AFAIK, after calling two resellers here, there's no upgrade or student discount here :-(
At the time being I'll practice with Elements 6 and just downloaded LR3 beta. Those two will keep me busy for a while ;)

bob