PDA

View Full Version : Winter's Heavy Load

irispatch
02-14-2010, 05:13 PM
Winter can be depressing as it is, add 27 inches of snow and it seems over whelming.
The snow was too deep for my old arthritic legs to slog down the hill for a better angle.
The next snow storm dumped another 21 inches on us, fortunatly for the trees it was bilzzard condition that blew and shook the burden from the trees. The lower branches are still buried after a week.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j159/irispatch/froum%20%20posts/IMG_7028aa2.jpg

Canon 50D with an ancient 28-70mm f3.5-4.5
shot at 70.0mm, 1/800, f/8.0, ISO 100

Editing: Added brightness and bumped up the contrast. Since it was shot while the snow was still falling I had to remove approximately well over 100 falling snowflakes.

Dave Mills
02-14-2010, 05:35 PM
Hi Irispatch? Welcome to the forum! (would prefer calling you by your real name)
Good center of interest with good subject matter for a B/W. I took the liberty to make a few suggestions. First, I noticed a slight magenta caste which I removed. I then cropped the image from the top and a small slice off the right to offset the tree a bit more. I then added more of a contrast adj... My adjustments took out a little detail in the snow but you get the idea...

Nick Palmieri
02-14-2010, 10:30 PM
Wow that's a lot of snow! It seems to me that the tree line in the BG is crooked. I could be wrong but I think this image needs a major CCW shift. I would think the heavy snow is pulling the tree down to the left. You were there so correct me if I am wrong.

irispatch
02-15-2010, 06:30 AM
The tree line appears crooked because it is located on a steep hill. The photograph is level for the location.

Morkel Erasmus
02-15-2010, 04:40 PM
this is something different which I quite like. Dave's repost has hit the B&W potential on the head.

Robert Amoruso
02-16-2010, 10:38 AM
I like the repost but I feel to have made this image stronger, getting the upper part of the tree against a white sky essentially removing it from its environment would have been better. As an abstract, the viewer can examine the relationships of the heavy snow on the branches. In the larger context of placing it in the environment, the impact is lost as my eye wandering to the BG, to the side, and then back to the FG tree.

Going for more detail i.e. closer, would have been a good strategy.