PDA

View Full Version : Ice, Snow, And Trees

Ed Cordes
02-14-2010, 03:45 PM
I made this image last week during a snow fall in Lake Placid NY. I liked the way the snow fall created the dreamy, foggy effect on the frost in the trees. Just a hint of color to set it off.

What do you think?

1D MK4 with 100-400 @ 210. Evaluative metering at ISO 100 with F9 and 1/50 with EV +1 hand held from car. Cropped a bit from bottom and right.

Thanks for looking. C&C welcome

Valerio Tarone
02-14-2010, 04:14 PM
Good compo Ed, I like the mixture of fog, the texture of the forest. I should boost a bit the contrast.

Dave Mills
02-14-2010, 04:48 PM
Hi Ed, Good layering with a dash of color. I would have liked to see a bit more on the bottom and agree with Valerio the image needs a bit of contrast since it appears a flat. I was playing around with different crops in order to make the front large white tree more dominant. Just another idea...

Nick Palmieri
02-14-2010, 10:36 PM
Agree with others comments. Love the slight hint of color throughout the image. Where was this taken, looks like somewhere between Connery Pond and LP on Rt 86. Get some funky scenes on that road...

Ed Cordes
02-15-2010, 07:04 AM
Agree with others comments. Love the slight hint of color throughout the image. Where was this taken, looks like somewhere between Connery Pond and LP on Rt 86. Get some funky scenes on that road...

Thanks to all for the comments and sugestions.

Nick, this was on the left driving East out of Lake Placid toward I 87 to go home. There was a string of traffic ahead and behind me so I had to pull over. It was psat the Xcountry Ski area but before the narrows where the ice climbing takes place. Sorry, I don't kow the name of the roads well to be more specific.

Dan Wolin
02-15-2010, 09:52 AM
Pretty scene - I would bump the contrast as well - I think it would pop a bit more. I do like the splash of color in there also.

Robert Amoruso
02-16-2010, 10:33 AM
Ed,

Try Local Contrast Enhancement.

Ed Cordes
02-16-2010, 06:12 PM
Thanks Robert. I will try the LCE. I don't know what my mental block is but I don't always think about it in my work flow. Maybe this thread will ingrain it as it should be ingrained. Thanks for reminding me.