PDA

View Full Version : Happy Valentine's Day - The Calm After the Storm

Marina Scarr
02-14-2010, 10:00 AM
While I was photographing dark ducks, these nearby Mute Swans went to war with water flying everywhere. It took a few shots in the sequence to adjust my settings for the white birds. From the looks of this capture, they appear to be beginning the "making up" phase.

Canon 5D, Canon 400L F4 & 1.4 @ 560mm
F6.3, 1/2500sec, ISO 640, manual mode
Handheld; Full Frame and added a little canvas on top

C & C always welcomed and appreciated,

Marina

Stu Bowie
02-14-2010, 10:29 AM
Well done on the whites Marina, and I like the symmetrical poses. I agree a slight crop from the bottom will work.

Grace Scalzo
02-14-2010, 10:37 AM
Lovely, Marina. Techs look good, but what jumps out at me is the interaction and the lovely shape of their intertwined necks. Very textural as well.

Doug Brown
02-14-2010, 12:05 PM
Nice to get eye contact and sharpness with both birds. The flying water droplets let you know that something has just happened; they look like newlyweds after their first fight! Agree about the crop off the bottom.

Steve Maxson
02-14-2010, 03:14 PM
Great interaction captured, Marina. Good sharpness throughout and excellent detail in the whites. The water drops are a plus and add a sense of action. I would agree with a little crop from the bottom. This must have been fun to observe and photograph. My guess is that these are two males fighting over territory or mates, and despite appearances, making up has little to do with their motivations. :) :) Well done.

Axel Hildebrandt
02-14-2010, 03:36 PM
Cool interaction, good sharpness and head angles. Another vote for a crop off the bottom. I didn't know Mute Swans have expanded their range this far south.

Steve Canuel
02-15-2010, 01:21 AM
Excellent detail in the whites and good eye contact from both.

arash_hazeghi
02-15-2010, 03:43 AM
Very nice Marina, love the sharpness, beautiful light and exposure and great interaction, another vote for bottom crop.