PDA

View Full Version : Bar-tailed Godwit (Limosa lapponica

Mark Young
02-14-2010, 07:24 AM
This bird visited the local Lagoon at Dee Why last week. It's not an unusual bird to have in Sydney, but it is unusual for them to visit Dee Why.

Canon 400D 70-300mm @ 220mm. Cropped approx 15%, CWR 2*, Levels, Curves adjust. NR and blur on bg. USM

I would love to hear on ways I can improve this image both in the field with trying different settings, as well as any PP that might help.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj177/MTY400/Birds/Birds%20of%20Australia/Uploaded%20Images/Bar-tailedGodwitIMG_7670800.jpg

Lance Peters
02-14-2010, 03:35 PM
Hi Mark - do always include the full tech details, shutter speed, aperture, metering mode etc - just helps everyone help you.
Lots to like here - Nice light airy feel, like the low shooting angle, Good HA and eye contact and the Action!!
Might sharpen the bird just a tad more, eye included. You could consider cloning out the band of blue water that intersects the birds head - possible clone mark about 1/4 way up the back (from the tail).

Good show!!!

Oscar Zangroniz
02-14-2010, 03:42 PM
Great composition, HA and eye contact.
Congrats

Jackie Schuknecht
02-14-2010, 05:03 PM
Everything looks good to me. Beautiful BG, the line doesn't really bother me but I know it should come out. Maybe just a little more sharpening as Lance mentioned.

Mark Young
02-14-2010, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the comments and input everyone.

Hi Mark - do always include the full tech details, shutter speed, aperture, metering mode etc - just helps everyone help you.
Lots to like here - Nice light airy feel, like the low shooting angle, Good HA and eye contact and the Action!!
Might sharpen the bird just a tad more, eye included. You could consider cloning out the band of blue water that intersects the birds head - possible clone mark about 1/4 way up the back (from the tail).

Good show!!!

Sorry, I'll update the rest of the techs when I get home tonight, and repost with the suggestions.

Katie Rupp
02-14-2010, 06:22 PM
Nice catch, you and the bird. The blue band doesn't bother me as I like the soft color combination.

Cheryl Slechta
02-14-2010, 07:17 PM
Mark, I love the composition and the action you captured. The bg doesn't bother me either because of the
soft colors as Katie mentioned.

Gail Spitler
02-14-2010, 08:50 PM
Hi Mark
Just a terrific composition, love the low-angle, the worm (or whatever). This is one great image.
I took the liberty of doing a Levels adjustment so that the white and black points were at the extremes of the histogram, and then did a tad more USM (50% at 1 radius, I think). It might make the image pop a little more.
Congrats on this one.
Cheers
Gail

Mark Young
02-14-2010, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the comments and input everyone.

Hi Mark
Just a terrific composition, love the low-angle, the worm (or whatever). This is one great image.
I took the liberty of doing a Levels adjustment so that the white and black points were at the extremes of the histogram, and then did a tad more USM (50% at 1 radius, I think). It might make the image pop a little more.
Congrats on this one.
Cheers
Gail

Gail, I love your repost. It certainly does pop a little bit more. I wasn't aware of that technique of adjusting the extremes of the histo in Levels, Thanks for that.
The only issue is that it has blown out the breast a fraction, but I think I may be able to sort that out in the repost later tonight.

Mark Young
02-15-2010, 06:16 AM
Repost with suggestions.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj177/MTY400/Birds/Birds%20of%20Australia/Uploaded%20Images/Bar-tailedGodwitIMG_7670b.jpg

I can see the advantage of removing the blue line in the bg allows for more focus on the bird.

Lance Peters
02-15-2010, 06:23 AM
Repost with suggestions.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj177/MTY400/Birds/Birds%20of%20Australia/Uploaded%20Images/Bar-tailedGodwitIMG_7670b.jpg

I can see the advantage of removing the blue line in the bg allows for more focus on the bird.

:) Nice repost :)

Gail Spitler
02-15-2010, 11:01 AM
Wow - this image has really come together very nicely
Cheers
Gail

Paul Randall
02-19-2010, 06:23 PM
Hi Mark, I think i already commented on this shot on BOz. Anyway, I think the original shot is fine in terms of contrast, colour and the BG blues. Just needs a touch of sharpening on the face and eye. The overall sharpness is fine but it always pays to do some sharpening on the eye/face selectively.