PDA

View Full Version : Into the Kalahari (B&W)

Morkel Erasmus
02-13-2010, 02:00 PM
I stitched this one together from 4 images that were taken handheld through the car window on our trip to the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park in September 2009.

I really liked the outcome of the B&W here, but I do like the colour version as well, simply because the colour contrasts of the yellow grass, red sand and clear blue sky is such an asset of the Kalahari desert.

I will post the colour version as well. Would like your thoughts as well??

Techs:
Canon 1000D with 18-55mm IS (an underestimated lens for sure!) @ 18mm
f16 @ ISO-100

Morkel Erasmus
02-13-2010, 02:05 PM
here is the colour version as promised...

Robert Amoruso
02-13-2010, 07:19 PM
A good leading line with the road. The B&W is nice but lacks punch. Instead of reposting my tweaks, I am going to tell you what I did and invite you to repost it.

LCE on the whole image using Unsharp Mask on BG copy at 50/20/0. I then masked over the trees that got too dark.

Linear preset Curves correction I then masked out the upper part of the sky and instances in the FG ground that I thought needed it.

Dave Mills
02-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Hi Morkel, Agree with Robert's points. The first thing I noticed when I saw the B/W was the lack of punch. The image needed some pop to it since it appeared flat. It's a good candidate for conversion and I'll be curious to see what you can do with it....

Morkel Erasmus
02-15-2010, 04:35 PM
thanks for the feedback Dave & Robert...

does this version contain the punch lacked by the OP?