PDA

View Full Version : That's like 7000 in dog posts right?

Jim Poor
02-22-2008, 03:04 PM
Wow, it looks like I’m rapidly approaching 1000 posts so, I better start writing now as to not rush it when I get there. (obviously, once you’re reading this, I already will have).

I’ve never been among the top 10 posters on a site before, (probably not even among the top 50 or 100, but maybe). More importantly, I’ve never been on a site, photography or otherwise, where I felt as comfortable taking an active role as I do here.

I am thrilled that this place is all about learning and helping others learn. I have always been reluctant to jump in with both feet and critique other peoples’ work, but I’m thankful to have the opportunity to do so here in relative safety.

Safety, You ask? Well, yes. You see I know, as do most others that my photography is not up to the standards of many of the more established folks here, so who am I to say things like “I think this photo could be improved by XYZ . . . ?” But I took to heart the advice that we learn by critiquing other work and have tried to go well beyond the 5:1 ratio that has been suggested for critiques to image posts.

Have I “gotten it wrong” when critiquing? Sure, but someone who has more experience always comes along and helps me see where I did, and what the other answers are.

I’m at a point where I know what a good photo should look like more often than not, but not at the point where I can make all those elements come together as regularly as I would like, but I’ll get there.

I’ve learned a ton in the less than two months I’ve been involved here and I hear the voices of Artie and others in my head while I’m out in the field. “Don’t make me send the HAP (Head Angle Police) after you” or “Lower is better” and so on.

I hope that I’ve been able to help others too. I know not to expect people to benefit from my thoughts like they would Artie, FABs, AL, The Roberts and many more, but I still hope I’ve been at least a little help. One shouldn’t be a parasite you know ;)

I have plans to “go pro” by 01 Jan 09 and have contracted for a web site to be built (hopefully, it will launch a lot sooner than 01 Jan) as well as started getting all the paperwork done.

I’ve spent my entire adult life in service to country, first as a soldier and now as a government contractor, and teaching in one form or another. I enjoy teaching and instructing so some day I hope to follow in the footsteps of Artie and others so I can combine a lot of things I enjoy into a new career. You know;

"Give a man a job he loves and he will never work a day in his life." – Confucius

I can’t wait for my first real photo instruction next month in FL and I’ll get to meet a bunch of BPNers too!

So, thanks everyone for putting up with me, even when I butcher one of your images and helping me along in the process. Thanks to the BPN staff for not only creating a site and a community, but creating an environment conducive to learning.

And thanks to Artie for setting an example for us all to realize that no matter if we're "the famous bird photographer" or not, we can all still learn from one another and help each other along the way.

I feel it is only appropriate to close with a moment of silence as we all turn to the powers that give us strength to ask for a safe and swift return of our beloved mascot Beep. We must remain strong for him as I’m sure he wants us to.

I didn't have a really cool image for this post, so I picked on from southern CA where the weather is warm and when Sam was still walking (that's him in the window). I didn't take it, so I can't get busted on the quality ;)

http://www.pbase.com/jimpoor/image/90755950/original.jpg

Harold Davis
02-22-2008, 03:17 PM
Well said, Jim!! Just this past weekend I found myself telling my wife to "Move a little to the right and point your shadow at the bird". Just another thing I've learned from Mr Morris in the past few weeks.

congrats on 1000 and keep up the good work.

Alfred Forns
02-22-2008, 08:26 PM
JIm by the time I finished reading your post I thought you could be up to 2000 !!!! Big Congrats on your milestone All your contributions are much appreciated !!!
............... regarding BeePNogie .... I think he is dead meat Those birds are bad !!!!

Judy Lynn Malloch
02-22-2008, 09:17 PM
Awesome Jim and big congratulations on your 1000th post. It has been great to meat you here on BPN and I truly appreciate your enthusiasm. I look forward hopefully to meeting you one day and wish you every success . Your excitement is contagious. Many thanks for sharing with us.

Blake Shadle
02-25-2008, 09:24 AM
We're glad to have you as part of the community, Jim.