PDA

View Full Version : Ring-necked Duck

WIlliam Maroldo
02-12-2010, 09:13 PM
SonyA700~Sony70-400G@400mm~ISO1600~F5.6~1/800 sec~manual exposure~Hand Held~2-8-2010~ Houston, Texas~CS4
comments and critique welcomed. regards~Bill

Lance Peters
02-12-2010, 09:44 PM
Lovely!!! Tack sharp were it needs to be - great detail in the blacks, Love the eye.
Squareish crop works for me.
Good show!!!

Ray Rozema
02-12-2010, 10:35 PM
Great detail and exposure. How close were you and if close how did you manage to get so close?

Thanks Ray

WIlliam Maroldo
02-12-2010, 10:45 PM
Thanks guys. Pretty close, maybe 10 feet. The usual method; I remain motionless and wait for the birds to swim closer. regards~Bill

Bill Dix
02-12-2010, 10:48 PM
Eye and feather detail absolutely spectacular. No apparent noise at 1600 ISO. Well done indeed! Is this a captive bird?

WIlliam Maroldo
02-12-2010, 11:07 PM
Bill; not a captive bird. I use manual exposure under soft (low contrast) lighting conditions, such as the overcast conditions here, and purposely overexpose quite a bit. I shoot knowing full well that I will need to recover the whites in post-processing, as well as reduce exposure. If I get too carried away I won't be able to, and I have sort of developed a feel for what will work.
As a matter of fact, under high contrast light, such as direct sunlight, recovery of whites is usually extremely limited, and I just don't rely on the technique at all. I pay attention to the "blinkies"! regards~Bill

Lance Peters
02-12-2010, 11:18 PM
Bill; not a captive bird. I use manual exposure under soft (low contrast) lighting conditions, such as the overcast conditions here, and purposely overexpose quite a bit. I shoot knowing full well that I will need to recover the whites in post-processing, as well as reduce exposure. If I get too carried away I won't be able to, and I have sort of developed a feel for what will work.
As a matter of fact, under high contrast light, such as direct sunlight, recovery of whites is usually extremely limited, and I just don't rely on the technique at all. I pay attention to the "blinkies"! regards~Bill

Just to clarify here - I believe Bill is referring to --- Pushing the histogram as far to the right as possible without getting any blinkies!! (To some the term Overexposure could be interpreted another way)

Oscar Zangroniz
02-12-2010, 11:26 PM
This is what I call in your face portrait Bill. Well exposed, eye contact and HA.
congrats

Bill Dix
02-13-2010, 10:21 AM
Thanks Bill and Lance for the helpful exposure tips. Bill - I was imagining you shooting this in the Herman Park Zoo. This is truly amazing for a wild bird shot. Congrats again.

Gail Spitler
02-13-2010, 11:07 AM
Bill - very, very effective portrait. Love the sharpness for both the feathers and the water droplets, and the exposure is perfect.
Cheers
Gail

wendell westfall
02-13-2010, 11:28 AM
Beautiful, sharp image, Bill . . .

Katie Rupp
02-13-2010, 04:41 PM
Wow, I'm impressed with the detail, the exposure and how you captured the subtle colors and sheen. Congrats!

Mark Young
02-14-2010, 07:10 AM
Beautiful shot. There is so much to like about this image. I really like the exposure, detail and composition.