PDA

View Full Version : Ms Mallard and the MkIV....What do you think?

Lana Hays
02-12-2010, 08:30 PM
I've had my MkIV for a week but with bad weather and a busy schedule I didn't get to try it out until this afternoon after school. I have been anxious all week fearing that it might not be what I had hoped it would be. I'll let you be the judge of the first round of shooting. The only thing I did was to size it for the forum. There was NO sharpening, saturation, levels, etc. If I can get some decent light, I'll try for some flight shots tomorrow. So far....what do you think?

Canon 1DMkIV, 500mmL IS, 2XTC, beanbag
Full frame
ISO 400, f/11, ss1/400
RAW image converted with DPP and only sized for the forum

DustinFinn
02-12-2010, 09:07 PM
I think if you're shooting RAW it would be better to sharpen at least a little.

The bird looks great but the eye looks soft, then I read your description and wonder if the eye would come back a little had it been sharpened. Just a bit.

Also, your test shot is with a 500 and 2x on it. So in my horrible opinion you're not really giving yourself a valid test.

I like the exposure and the frame filling shot and composition.

Don Lacy
02-12-2010, 10:45 PM
If that is what a unprocessed RAW file looks like then I think you got one nice camera

Judy Lynn Malloch
02-13-2010, 07:40 AM
Wow Lana looks like a superb camera !!!!!! Congratulations and I know you will use it well. Look forward to your future posts :):)

Axel Hildebrandt
02-13-2010, 11:18 AM
Looks good from here and congratulations on the new toy. I would sharpen head and bill a little.

Cindy Mead
02-13-2010, 04:35 PM
this looks awesome for no processing at all Lana.. congrats on your new gear and have fun :D

Art Kornienko
02-14-2010, 03:21 PM
Awesome, you got a great copy of the MKIV.

John Chardine
02-14-2010, 08:18 PM
Hi Lana- This is a super image and shows what a good photographer can do with the 500 and the 2x converter. There have been some discussions on another BPN forum about what constitutes "critically sharp". Well I think this is it. And it dispels any idea that the 2x converter degrades quality- in the right hands it doesn't.

You have wonderful sharpness here in the eye and the face. I just love this sort of intimate portrait.

Jackie Schuknecht
02-14-2010, 08:30 PM
Really sharp Lana, especially with the 2x. I would say you are happy:)