PDA

View Full Version : Moose In Reflection

LouisKeller
02-12-2010, 02:18 PM
This photo was taken in Teton National Park at the OXbow Bend pullout. I was photographing the reflection of the aspens when this young bull moose swam into the reflection. It created an almost abstract photo with the different colors.

Canon Mark II with a Canon 500mm IS lens and 1.4 converter @ f/14, 1/400 and ISO 1000. No changes in saturation, s/h, and sharpening in PS4.

Morkel Erasmus
02-12-2010, 03:38 PM
looks like a lovely scene Louis. something in the image quality just doesn't seem right though? a lot of noise, detail isn't great - I'm thinking if this isn't a large crop it might have to do with your processing workflow...did you boost shadow/highlights a lot?

LouisKeller
02-12-2010, 04:07 PM
I posted the wrong copy!!!

Sid Garige
02-12-2010, 11:59 PM
Louis,

From your picture I can get a sense of what the objective of this image is. I also see a number of obstacles you had to deal with regarding light conditions. Considering the limitations and subject looks like you did a good job.

As per my understanding the objective of the image is to show moose reflection in golden water. You met your objective in the image. But this image is not aesthetically pleasing due to the following reasons.

1. subject placement: I would like to see the subject parallel to sensor plane or approaching into the frame. Moose in your image is exiting the frame and not generating enough interest for me.

2. Reflection: Due to subject movement moose reflection was not well defined.

3. I do see the effect of harsh light on the quality of image.

Here are few images from Mark Picard site on moose reflections. Take a look and you will see subject in film plane and well defined reflections.
http://www.markpicard.com/gallery.php?gal=1&id=83
http://www.markpicard.com/gallery.php?gal=13

PS: Just my opinion. My apologies if I went over board.

Paul Taylor
02-14-2010, 12:31 PM
I think it works as a moose struggling to escape from something and while the version you accidentally posted has some issues I think the colours work better to emphasise that 'abstract' look you refer to. The reflection is never going to be clear in these circumstances so I don't see that as something to worry about, but would instead view the reflection as slightly less important and rename the image.

Just an idea - not to be taken too seriously but I thought I'd share it. To me it's quite a striking shot.

DanWalters
02-16-2010, 08:54 AM
Like the colors and the ripples in the water. I wouls like to see a more parallel image of the moose to see the eye more, but you cannot control that!