PDA

View Full Version : Protea Flower

Mike Moats
02-12-2010, 12:48 PM
Bought some interesting flowers from Costco but they didn't have the name of the flower, so went online and found it was a Protea flower.
Shot wide open with soft focus. Stripped away some of the outside petals to reveal the insides.

Fuji S5, Tamron 90mm 2.8

kostas nianiopoulos
02-12-2010, 12:52 PM
i love those colors Mike , i don't know how to say it english about the feel of this ... in few words i like what i see .. well done

Mike Moats
02-12-2010, 01:08 PM
Thanks Kostas, you said it fine!:)

Jerry van Dijk
02-12-2010, 01:48 PM
Hi Mike, nice use of the soft focus and wide aperture. It makes the image look like an abstract painting. I do feel that the image needs a point of attention somewhere. There's loads of lines to follow, but my eye doesn't linger anywhere. I do love the colors though!

Jackie Schuknecht
02-12-2010, 09:34 PM
Lovely colour palette and dreamy feel. I like this one very much.

Markus Jais
02-13-2010, 01:40 AM
Very beautiful and artistic photograph! Very good eye to see this one!
I like the soft light and colors. The lines are great, both the ones turning to the left as well as the diagonal lines from bottom left to the upper right.

Markus

Julie Kenward
02-13-2010, 10:24 AM
Mike, you know how much I like these shallow DOF floral images! This one is beautiful but I also felt like Jerry - that nothing was anchoring my eye. I took a long look at it and thought it needed something stronger to balance out the bottom of the frame as the top left is more "heavy" in feel. I deepened the yellows just a bit at the bottom of the frame and then added a little yellow to the right side where the white BG was - it's certainly not better than your original - just different. For me, it helps anchor my eye down at the bottom of the frame a bit more but I also see that it loses some of it's wonderful "airy" quality so not sure that's a good trade off. Thought I'd share it so others could see how a small change to one of their images can affect the whole look and feel...

(I hope you got your wife some flowers for V-day while you were at Costco. No fair re-gifting these!) :D;):D

Anita Bower
02-16-2010, 03:36 PM
It is interesting to see you using a shallow DOF, Mike. Lovely colors and lines. I like both the original and Jules'.

Cheryl Flory
04-05-2010, 09:18 PM
Mike, What do you mean you shot with soft focus?

(I know there are hundreds if not thousands of types and varieties of Protea. But I sure wish the Protea I find here looked like that one!)