02-12-2010, 07:39 AM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4056/4351250176_cf6a4d10fd_o.jpg
I do remember this and the next day being highlights in 2009 for me. :cool:

D700
500VR
f6.3
1/1600
ISO 200

Background darkened in NX2 to smooth out some light and dark areas and some work to tone down the harsh light of almost midday sun.

Thanks for looking!

Judy Lynn Malloch
02-12-2010, 09:45 AM
Love the composition and the open beak in this capture. Looks like some fine work in the editing Scott. really like the dark BG and the perch. the one thing I do find a bit distracting is the light area around the back and neck . Look forward to seeing more and many thanks for sharing.

Deborah Hanson
02-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Very nice photo. I, too, like the composition and the mood of the image.
The colors work well together and are wonderful.
(As an aside - sometimes when I lighten an area using NIK software (like NX2, I believe) it will spill over into the background a bit. I drop a point in that area and it adjusts back to what it was. Don't know if this is what is causing the lighter area at the back of the bird?).

Deb

Daniel Cadieux
02-12-2010, 11:46 AM
Good points by the two ladies above. I would also add that a better HA would have made this image even stronger. I like the rock/vegetation combo, and the dark BG looks good (except for the afformaentioned light area close to the puffin)

Stephen Stephen
02-12-2010, 12:39 PM
Scott great pose with the open bill. Add my agreement to all the comments about the light are around the neck and back.

If my plans work out I could be back to 'the Rock" this summer and if I'm lucky I'll get to see some of these beautiful birds.

Jory Griesman
02-12-2010, 12:50 PM
Good job of dealing with blacks and whites. Not that easy, I have found, to get this open mouth pose. Good comp. Head angle not ideal, in terms of frequent comments on this forum, but it doesn't bother me at all. Nice job darkening the background. Light areas, as mentioned, only a minor issue. Was this due to a selection or control point that "spilled" over?