PDA

View Full Version : Grey (Hungarian) Partridge

Stephen Stephen
02-11-2010, 08:21 PM
I created this image in late January. Three of these lovely birds had been reported from the grounds of one of our city work barns. When I arrived early on Sunday morning I found the birds huddled down under a spruce tree in the shade and away from the biting wind.

The snow plows had created major snow banks so I was only able to see and photograph the birds from my SUV which doubled as a blind.

I would have liked to not have the branch above the bird's head but I could not move to change my angle. I also would have liked a slightly better head angle.

Canon EOS 40, Sigma 50-500mm at 500mm with fill flash. 1/250 sec. f/6.3, ISO Equiv.: 500

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s219/Squidcan/Birds3/GreyPartridge16.jpg

Steve Maxson
02-11-2010, 09:47 PM
Hi Stephen. I like the way the bird is fluffed up to stay warm in the cold. Good sharpness and the head angle looks fine to me. Too bad about the branch behind the head - if only the bird had been sitting another 2 inches to your left it would have been nicely framed. :) If this was mine, I would probably remove the flash-generated catchlight as you already have a natural highlight in the eye. Given your movement limitations, I like the comp with the bird on the right and looking off to the left.

Don Anderson
02-11-2010, 11:02 PM
Love the colors and mood of this image. Steve mentioned the problems, but
its a nice image, flash was well done. :D

Julie Brown
02-12-2010, 06:01 AM
Stephen, I like this image. You have conveyed the environment well.

Stephen Stephen
02-12-2010, 08:21 AM
Thanks you Steve, Don and Julie for your comments.

The angle was frustrating. I had already leaned as forward as far as I could go through my car winter and I couldn't move the car any further ahead either because of another snow bank.

Steve I don't know why I didn't eliminate the flash catchlight! :eek: I'll go back and remove it on the orignal.

Ofer Levy
02-12-2010, 08:23 AM
Very nice image. I like the composition, pose and the inclusion of the habitat.

Judy Lynn Malloch
02-12-2010, 10:17 AM
Excellent detail and eye contact Stephen and I love the pose. We ca not always get them to pose just where we would like but a very lovely capture and many thanks for sharing Stephen.

Peregrine Craig Nash
02-12-2010, 03:22 PM
Why Hungarian out of curiosity?

Stephen Stephen
02-12-2010, 10:40 PM
Thank you Ofer and Judy for your comments.

Peregrine "Hungarian" is sometimes listed as one of the common names used for this non-native bird here in North America. I don't really know why.

Deborah Hanson
02-14-2010, 10:27 AM
I like the pose of the bird. It's a pose that many birds take around here to ward off the cold as well.
Not an easy bird to catch with good detail, like you have managed. Love the outer feathers.
Also, good depth to image.

Deb