PDA

View Full Version : Backyard Visitor

Bud Cline
02-11-2010, 07:26 PM
The sun is out and we are getting dug out yet again from the latest blizzard. There are many sights and signs of the local critters moving about while hunting for something to eat. Our front porch was covered with fox tracks this morning and this big fellow showed up in our next door neighbor's backyard. The deer have been visiting daily during the snows to feed on the big yew that is in this yard.

D700, Nikkor 300mm, f/5.6, 1/500s, ISO 1600, polarizing filter, handheld. Raw file was processed with PS CS4 with lots of "tweaking" then after selecting the deer and inverting the selection, the remainder of the image was softened using Topaz Detail 2 - abstraction filter.

Jackie Schuknecht
02-11-2010, 08:18 PM
I like the BG a lot Bud. The effect is very cool, just not finding the noise on the deer overly appealing. Did you make a selection of the deer and put him back into the BG???

Bud Cline
02-11-2010, 09:18 PM
Jackie, I am not happy with the noisy looking deer either :(, almost did not post this one due to that. I am not sure what I did to get that effect - have been working on this between shoveling sessions all day and finally just pulled the trigger on posting it - perhaps I should have started over on this one. Thanks for your candid opinion - I agree with it!

denise ippolito
02-11-2010, 09:41 PM
Bud, I agree w/ Jackie regarding the noise. I would probably refine the edges and run some NR on the deer-should be fine.:) I do like the stained glass look from the filter.

Bud Cline
02-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Thanks for your suggestions, Denise. I think I am going to start over on this one - I have a couple of other versions but was not entirely happy with any of them.

Paul Lagasi
02-13-2010, 06:40 PM
Love the deer image, colors are really good..agree about the noise...If it were mine I probably clone out the twig near the front leg and the white strip on deers body