PDA

View Full Version : A little south of the Utah line

Jess Lee
02-11-2010, 07:06 PM
This is from last April in Arizona. I can't wait to get back

Julie Brown
02-11-2010, 08:54 PM
Hi Jess. I love the color and texture of the rock. Nice composition. Did you use any filters?

Jess Lee
02-11-2010, 09:29 PM
Thanks Julie,
It was one of those clear, after the storm mornings, in a place a ways from pollution. I gave the image about 10 points of saturation in ACR and a little contrast.
Shot with a 1ds mkIII 17-40 @ 20mm

Michael Pancier
02-11-2010, 09:57 PM
coyote buttes? great clouds...reminds me of the hike to the wave.

Dave Mills
02-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Hi Jess, Definately has the look of terrain near the wave. You did a nice job framing the comp using the rock as a leading line taking you back to an interesting rock formation. The sky has interest but for my taste I would take a small slice off the top.(about half way through the top loose clouds) Wonderful lighting completes a well handled image!

DanielTMiller
02-12-2010, 12:56 AM
Love the colours and textures in this shot, and the composition of the lines.

Jess Lee
02-12-2010, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the comments. This shot is probably geologically close to the sandstone near the wave but it is 30 to 40 miles a way. One reason I like it down there is that there is so much great country.

MIHAIL OBADA
02-12-2010, 08:34 AM
Hi Jess!
I like the framing, the perspective and the colors.
But I've allowed to re-process the image (I was playing a little - a bad habit of mine) in PS.
Look what I got:

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii109/mihailo_2008/sbutte_LEE9194m.jpg

How to work (in different layers):

1 curves - linear contrast
2 curves - lighter, 30%
3 high-pass filter, radius 0,6px, blending overlay
4 I selected the second quarter from above ( including the large cloud and the stones protruding) - polygonal lasso tool, feather 50px
5 H/S in blues - hue -40 (minus 40)
6 I cloned two black spots in the top section of the image (probably two birds)

I think so i gave the image brightness, clarity, depth, and contrast color.

Jess, with much respect, if you believe that I was wrong, i immediately delete.

Sorry for my horrible English!

I wish you good light!

kostas nianiopoulos
02-12-2010, 08:41 AM
this is a great image and the Mihails repost rocks !!! Well doneJess and well done neighbor Mihail . Im sorry Sorry for my horrible English as well , but Mihail's are better .. :)

Robert Amoruso
02-12-2010, 10:03 AM
Jess,

Great compositon for the reasons mentioned. The arc in the sandstone works well as a leading line to the BG. Mihail's recrop is just what I had in mind when I was going to say up the contrast and bring out the details.

I would have opted for using local contrast enhancement (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20434 for my tutorial).

Jess Lee
02-12-2010, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I will check that out when I get back from these Yellowstone tours and I am in the office with a monitor where I can see the difference.
Robert I expect your great tutorials will be a big help. I was fascinated watching your speed while our groups were at Silver Salmon

Morkel Erasmus
02-13-2010, 02:29 PM
nobody's mentioned it so it might just be me, but it seems as though the surface and FG lacks a bit of finite sharpness. that being said it is a fine composition with great light, texture and lines!

Kaushik Balakumar
02-14-2010, 03:12 PM
Nice image with beautiful textures. Some lovely job from Mihail on the re-post.