Av mode
1/320"
F8
ISO: 200
CS3

It's old and worn but still beautiful.

Julie Brown
02-11-2010, 06:50 PM
I like this Ken. Interesting pose with the body in silhouette. I might have cropped some more from the bottom.

Mike Moats
02-11-2010, 07:03 PM
Hey Ken, the backlighting and dramtic light is really nice. I would suggest toning down the white area below the leaf the B-bly is perched on. Very nice details:)

Julie Kenward
02-11-2010, 07:53 PM
Yes, that white area got my eye before the butterfly did. :( I'm not sure how big this crop is but if you could take it all the way down to the backlit bf and the leaf I think it would be stunning. Also, did you try to bring up the shadows on the head and belly of the bf at all? It might make a little more detail come out while still preserving your backlighting.

Vida van der Walt
02-12-2010, 03:40 AM
Hi Ken. Great shot and I love the light shining through those wings and the contrast between light and dark. I worked on the image a bit and hope you like it. Pls don't laugh at my PP skills but I'm slowly but surely improving. I cropped, removed some of the green leaves to focus the attention more on the BF, adjusted the gamma slightly, painted over the leaf the BF is sitting on at 20% of the shade of the other leaves in order to warm up the gray green of that leaf. I also sharpened slightly.:)

Vida van der Walt
02-12-2010, 03:44 AM
I just notice now that I could've even cropped a tiny bit more on the left hand side.:)

Vida van der Walt
02-12-2010, 04:09 AM
This is very weird! When I tried to upload the reworked image I had to try 3 or 4 times as I got a message every time to first refresh the screen. Now I notice that the reworked image appears a couple of times when I scroll down to the other members macro posts and the images appear under the strangest headings!:confused:

Julie Brown
02-12-2010, 05:40 AM
I have had that experience when uploading as well.

Ken Childs
02-12-2010, 07:27 AM
Yes, that white area got my eye before the butterfly did. :( I'm not sure how big this crop is but if you could take it all the way down to the backlit bf and the leaf I think it would be stunning. Also, did you try to bring up the shadows on the head and belly of the bf at all? It might make a little more detail come out while still preserving your backlighting. My first edit had more of the original but I decided to go in a little further. It's a pretty big crop and I was worried I'd lose too much if I went in any further. I should have tried anyway. I did lighten the body and head and maybe I could have taken it a little further.

Hi Ken. Great shot and I love the light shining through those wings and the contrast between light and dark. I worked on the image a bit and hope you like it. Pls don't laugh at my PP skills but I'm slowly but surely improving. I cropped, removed some of the green leaves to focus the attention more on the BF, adjusted the gamma slightly, painted over the leaf the BF is sitting on at 20% of the shade of the other leaves in order to warm up the gray green of that leaf. I also sharpened slightly.:)
Thanks, Vida. It does look better without all the bright, blurry distractions. :)

Allen Sparks
02-12-2010, 10:14 AM
Nice backlit shot. I like the lit up wings and Vida's repost is a nice improvement.

Julie Kenward
02-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Vida got it...that's exactly what I was imagining...pulling out all the clutter and leaving just what was important to the image.

Peter Farrell
02-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Ken, This is a super image. I love the dramatic light, the detail and the shadows. I also was bothered by the bright white portion of the BG, but I liked the green on the bottom. Something like this...

Ken Childs
02-12-2010, 01:52 PM
That's looks good, too. :)

Jerry van Dijk
02-12-2010, 02:01 PM
Hi Ken, nice use of the backlight! It really complements the butterfly. Do agree that bringing up the shadows could really improve the image. I really like Vidas repost (and probably better with a little off the left).