PDA

View Full Version : Hummingbird Moth

Peter Farrell
02-11-2010, 03:57 PM
Still waiting for my camera to return from repair. Using the time to re-process some older images.
This was taken 7/02/09, Sony A700, Sigma 105mm macro, f8, 1/800, iso 400. ( wish I shot at a faster ss)
PP in elements 5. I cloned out two OOF flowers in LLC and URC, lightened shadows on the darkest part of the body, slight saturation and sharpening also on the insect. BG noise reduction and some blurring on the green leaves.

Ken Childs
02-11-2010, 05:09 PM
Peter, I see what you mean about wanting a faster s/s. You just missed it on this because, besides the wings, there is some motion blur showing so none of the bug is completely in focus. Honestly, timing is really the key on getting clear shots of these fast little buggers. I've seen plenty of clean shots at 1/500 or even slower speeds at f10. I have some with the wings almost frozen and those were at 1/800. I do like the comp on this shot.

BTW, this is a Snowberry Clearwing Moth. If you see one feeding, keep a close eye on that spot. They tend to return to the same flowers over and over again which can give you second or third chances at getting a good shot.

Mike Moats
02-11-2010, 05:46 PM
Hey Peter, I had to look close to see the body wasn't in total focus, so not bad under the condition with this guy. I like the comp and the BG has some stuff going on but it blurred to a nice soft painted look. Well done.

Christopher Miller
02-11-2010, 07:14 PM
Hi Peter, I see what you mean about wanting a faster SS, but I have to tell you this is far better than any of my hummingbird moth photos. :) Nice colors and comp. I might prefer a slightly cleaner BG, but no biggie.

Julie Kenward
02-11-2010, 07:49 PM
I'm with Mike...I had to REALLY look at that body to see it wasn't super sharp. I have to say the trade off here got you some magical soft wing action! I love the way those turned out. The BG works with the softness that you added...I just wish the flower were in a little better position in relation to the insect.

Vida van der Walt
02-12-2010, 01:31 AM
Hi Peter. I think you did very well with this capture of a moving subject. I agree with Mike and Jules on the focus. Love the colours and a great comp.:) In SA we call this a Humming Bird Moth.:)

Vida van der Walt
02-12-2010, 01:57 AM
Sorry, Peter. I only noticed the title of the shot now and see you also call them Hummingbird moths.:)

Jerry van Dijk
02-12-2010, 02:12 PM
Hi Peter, despite the flaws you mention I think you did a really good job! I love how you composed this and applaude you for just getting a succesful shot of this moth. They're sooooo fast. I'm not too distracted by the blurs, except for the tongue being blurred. I think that you may boost the colors a little.