PDA

View Full Version : Great Horned Owl and Spanish Moss

Matthew Studebaker
02-11-2010, 11:10 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2721/4302103437_02e2776ce1_o.jpg
Osceola County, FL | January | Canon Mk IV | Canon 600mm f4 IS - f5.6, ISO200, 1/1000
A big thanks to Judd Patterson for spotting this guy on its day roost.

david cramer
02-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Lovely image with a beautiful setting. I love the coloring, light, and tone. Angle is a bit steep, but I suppose you didn't have a ladder. :)

I would prefer a tighter crop, more bird/less moss.

Don Anderson
02-11-2010, 11:15 AM
I love the environment with this shot.. Very nice image.

Stu Bowie
02-11-2010, 12:17 PM
Nicely framed around the moss Matthew, and love the alert pose and eye contact. I would leave the comp as is, as it shows the surrounding enviroment.

Deborah Hanson
02-11-2010, 12:21 PM
I love the owl. Nice detail in alert expression. Regarding crop - if mine - I would offset the owl just to the left (his right) and take a small amount off the top. Just my preference not to have subject in the center. But really like the moss at bottom as is.

Deb

Kiran Poonacha
02-11-2010, 01:22 PM
hey Bhai, just loved the setting you got here..

DanielTMiller
02-11-2010, 03:30 PM
I really like this, the texture of the moss and lichen really compliments the bird, though don't clash with it.

Grace Scalzo
02-11-2010, 04:19 PM
Such an artistic image, Matthew. I really like it as presented. The minute you start cropping you loose some of the wonderful elements that make this image so complete. It has a restful, quiet feeling to it which I truly appreciate.

Xristos Zo
02-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Very nice shot I especially like the BG, environment and color.

Joe Senzatimore
02-11-2010, 05:21 PM
I usually prefer a tighter crop , but this is one great environmental rendering. Amazing how The subject can just disapear into the habitat.

Lana Hays
02-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Matthew
Of everything that I've seen from your FL trip.....this is by far my favorite. The owl is wonderful.....but oh how all that moss makes this one suc an incredible environmental image. I get tingly just looking at it.

arash_hazeghi
02-12-2010, 01:33 AM
The beautiful environment makes up for steep angle, like the details and SH. TFS

RakeshDhareshwar
02-12-2010, 05:00 AM
Love the way it is presented . While the angle is a bit steep , am surprised at the colouration similarity of the BG and the bird !!!

Nagesh Mula
02-12-2010, 01:50 PM
This is simply beautiful Mathew along with the spanish moss. Congrats!!

Greg Basco
02-12-2010, 02:48 PM
Matthew, beautiful image all the way around. Really nice work!

Cheers,
Greg Basco

Kaustubh Deshpande
02-12-2010, 05:07 PM
Matthew...surely one of your best. I liked the inclusion of habitat...inspite of having so much its not distracting...on the contrary it makes this photo very very unique.

Karl Egressy
02-12-2010, 07:00 PM
It is a wonderful picture Matthew as is and everybody raves about it with a good reason. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Based on that, it is hard for me to say that the branch going behind the body makes it look as if the bird was pinned to the main trunk by that branch. <o:p></o:p>
I would clone it out if it were mine and it definitely would put it over the top IMO.<o:p></o:p>

paul leverington
02-13-2010, 08:49 AM
Matt--You know I love this one! I would strongly disagree that having the bird in the center is not the best composition here. With that "waterfalls" of moss hanging down directly below him it's as if he's on a pedastal. Centered comp here like you have it is the best way to go. The real subject here believe it or not is the moss--it is a little stronger of an element than the bird. I think folks get so indoctrinated into thinking a shot with a bird in it must be a bird shot that something like this as an enviornmental looks wrong to them. Nope, in my view the moss has more comp power than the bird so none should be cropped out-AND- the fact that we are looking up at him doesn't detract that much since he is the supporting player. I think this is why folks can easily accept the angle. Cloning the branch out you could do--but then the one coming out of his head would look odd-so that would have to go, then the little one going into his left shoulder, then the dark spot of stuff touching his right check, maybe even the sprigs overlapping onto his body on his left. Personally I like a shot nowadays that has these things in in because it assures me a lot that little has been done to "doctor" up the image. That gives me greater enjoyment of it. I suppose early on in those infant years of PS work being done to shots no one really knew much what was going on in a picture--but nowadays even the average joe on the street knows what can be done with images. These totally cleaned up images no longer look trustworthy as a result to most so a shot like this with natures"imperfections" left in looks to be the real deal. Nature in a way of looking at it absolutely relies on the imperfect and chaotic to survive and without it--looking sterile and void--could be looked upon as just one more way man pushes away and rejects nature. In this shot the artistic value is not lost with the branches I feel. And presented as is looks perfect to me.

Paul

Ramon M. Casares
02-14-2010, 08:47 PM
I am not quite sure about where you placed the bird in the frame, but the rest... OH ... MY ... GOD... such a painting feel... such an amazing enviroment and also a great species, nice detail, colors and overall mood.
Congratulations!

Kris Mortensen
02-15-2010, 03:21 PM
I agree completely that centering this images is the best presentation, in my opinion. I love the frame, GREAT shot...really does look like a painting! Congratulations on an amazing shot! Well done!