ISO Speed 100
Lens 100.0mm
Flash Off
White Balance Mode Auto
AF Mode AI Servo AF

All comments welcome.

Julie Brown
02-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Jonathan, interesting pose with the dragonfly's legs. Nice color, pleasing BG. Curious to know what other's might think about the angle of the perch through the frame.

Julie Kenward
02-10-2010, 07:57 PM
Nice catchlight on the eye, Jonathan! Good pose and nice tilt to the stem! There is a small black blemish on the top of the back wing - I don't know if you could clean that up without destroying the wing but it would be worth a shot. Everything else looks great!

Mike Fuhr
02-10-2010, 08:17 PM
Nice catchlight on the eye, Jonathan! Good pose and nice tilt to the stem! There is a small black blemish on the top of the back wing - I don't know if you could clean that up without destroying the wing but it would be worth a shot. Everything else looks great!

I think that is pigment in the wing (the closest wing has the same spot I think) -- some damsels have spots like that. I like this shot -- the angle of the stem is nice. Good detail on body. I can't decide whether I want more dof for the wings or not. Neat coloring on the body.

Christopher Miller
02-10-2010, 10:18 PM
Johnathan, I'm loving your damselfly images! :) I like the colors on this damselfly, especially that bit of iridescence on its back. Nice details. Would have been nice to have gotten the wings in focus too, but I understand that probably wasn't possible so it's no big deal IMO. Looks to me like there's an OOF grass stem behind the stem that the damselfly is on, that I might remove. Well done.

Jonathan Ashton
02-11-2010, 02:27 AM

That is the pterostigma, it is a feature of this species.

Vida van der Walt
02-11-2010, 06:25 AM
Lovely image Jonathan. You are right and that black spot is part of the pattern of the wing veins and very important when identifying the species. Great detail and bg.:)

Markus Jais
02-11-2010, 02:56 PM
Beautiful shot with great BG. I like the diagonal line of the perch. I like open the wings.

Markus

Ken Childs
02-11-2010, 05:19 PM
Johnathan, I'm loving your damselfly images! :) I like the colors on this damselfly, especially that bit of iridescence on its back. Nice details. Would have been nice to have gotten the wings in focus too, but I understand that probably wasn't possible so it's no big deal IMO. Looks to me like there's an OOF grass stem behind the stem that the damselfly is on, that I might remove. Well done.
I agree with everything that Christopher said and that OOF grass is the only thing that bothers me about this image. It might be a bit tricky removing it from around the bug's legs but it would be worth a try.

Where are you located? I haven't seen this species of Spreadwing before.

Mike Moats
02-11-2010, 05:34 PM
Hey Johnathan, very nice sharp details and great looking color wash in the BG. Congrats!

Don Lacy
02-12-2010, 12:22 AM
Hi Jonathan, Wonderful image well composed and lovely BG, maybe a bit of selective sharpening on the eye

Jonathan Ashton
02-12-2010, 02:41 AM
I agree with everything that Christopher said and that OOF grass is the only thing that bothers me about this image. It might be a bit tricky removing it from around the bug's legs but it would be worth a try.

Where are you located? I haven't seen this species of Spreadwing before.

I live in Wirral it is the peninsula opposite Liverpool. (North West England)