PDA

View Full Version : Yellowstone Lone Pine

D. Robert Franz
02-10-2010, 06:18 PM
Photographed this lone pine in late afternoon light last week. The blue tint on the snow was evident to the eye

Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Firmware: Adobe Photoshop CS4 Windows
Date/Time: 2010:02:04 15:22:11
Shutter speed: 1/100 sec
Aperture: 11
Exposure mode: Av
Exposure compensation: +1/3
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 100
Focal length: 127mm

Hilary Hann
02-10-2010, 09:14 PM
The lines of shadow in the snow curving up towards the tree really make this image. You managed to keep lots of detail in the snow in the foreground which is so hard with these great white expanses. I like the colours although I have an urge to add a little black, but that is probably more to do with the images I'm processing for myself at the moment! ;)

David Thomasson
02-10-2010, 09:27 PM
Love this composition. Excellent exposure and capture of fine details in the snow.

Some odd colors in this: There's a magenta cast in the clouds that isn't in the rest of the whites, and very dominant blues in the shadows
of the snow. The latter isn't too odd, and it's a matter of personal preference whether you reduce the blues. I would, something like this ...

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/9522/lonepine2.jpg

Dave Mills
02-10-2010, 10:59 PM
Hi Robert, Nice job with the composition and using the ridges and shadows as leading lines.I also like the positioning of the tree within the frame. David's repost took out a color caste which helped the image. If this were mine I would crop a little off the top...

D. Robert Franz
02-10-2010, 11:10 PM
Love this composition. Excellent exposure and capture of fine details in the snow.

Some odd colors in this: There's a magenta cast in the clouds that isn't in the rest of the whites, and very dominant blues in the shadows
of the snow. The latter isn't too odd, and it's a matter of personal preference whether you reduce the blues. I would, something like this ...

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/9522/lonepine2.jpg

I would say the true color is somewhere between the two...

Kobus Tollig
02-11-2010, 01:17 AM
GReat work well done. Like the comp and exposure. Ditto Nits

Robert Amoruso
02-11-2010, 12:47 PM
Dale,

I agree with the crop suggestion. Bringing down the top will strengthen the impact of the tree and the leading lines to it. Nicely seen.

D. Robert Franz
02-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Dale,

I agree with the crop suggestion. Bringing down the top will strengthen the impact of the tree and the leading lines to it. Nicely seen.

I actually did shoot a number of comps including less sky and like that very much as well..... Thanks.

Robert Amoruso
02-11-2010, 03:52 PM
I actually did shoot a number of comps including less sky and like that very much as well..... Thanks.

Great. :cool:

Jess Lee
02-11-2010, 06:58 PM
Well seen Dale

Morkel Erasmus
02-13-2010, 02:24 PM
this is simply a stunning composition Dale. I love it. I agree with your consent that the true colour probably should lie between your OP and Dave's repost (given that I wasn't there you might choose to disregard that statement ;))

I would go for a version where the magenta cast is removed from the clouds but some of the cool blue tones are kept in the shadows on the snow.