PDA

View Full Version : Klipspringer Male

Morkel Erasmus
02-10-2010, 04:13 PM
Hi everyone...

This image was taken in May 2009 in the Augrabies Falls National Park in the Northern Cape province of South Africa. I posted the female as one of my first posts on BPN (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39895).

These little antelopes mate for life and these two were very close to each other on different rocks. It was however not possible to get one shot with both in view due to the layout of the rocks they were standing on.

I love the space and sense of place here - in the late afternoon golden light.

Techs:
Canon 1000D with Tamron 70-300mm Di Tele-Macro
f6.3 @ ISO-400

Steve Kaluski
02-10-2010, 04:27 PM
Hey Morkel, great subject in a good environmental/habitat BG, and I do like the composition.

The foreground does look as if it is slightly high on the 'yellow' IMHO, also have you 'blurred' the BG at all? However, it's probably me.;)

Steve

Steve Kaluski
02-10-2010, 04:39 PM
If I am right Morkel try this, but I am away and using my laptop, so you might ned to + or - accordingly:)

Adjustments > Selective colour > Red (Magenta slider +20) > Yellow (black +20) it might get to where I think it needs to be, but as I said, i could be wrong.

Steve ;)

Austin Thomas
02-10-2010, 08:55 PM
Hi Morkel,

Very well seen and a great feeling of the environment in which this animal resides. I think you could tighten the crop on this and still achieve the environment feeling. A little off the bottom and the left would be my suggestion.

Great light and tfs

Austin

David Thomasson
02-10-2010, 09:01 PM
Great pose, and the golden cast seems just right for the angle of the sun. The DoF works nicely for this one ... or did you
blur the background? If you didn't, there's something a little strange with the bokeh along the mountain ridge. I would apply
some lens blur to take out that edgy look. Otherwise, it is excellent! :D

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/5811/bluri.jpg

Steve Canuel
02-10-2010, 09:46 PM
Also like the space and sense of place. Great looking habitat. I like David's suggestion on the ridge line.

D. Robert Franz
02-10-2010, 11:20 PM
Love klippes, one of my favorites. Fine image just a bit of a color cast..

Morkel Erasmus
02-10-2010, 11:27 PM
thanks for the comments guys! I did not blur the BG more than how it came out of camera. I also processed this one quite a while ago and it's probably worth a rework. I will leave the yellowish cast there as the sun was almost on the horizon and was painting the landscape beautifully in gold to the eye as well - I will however attempt a color balance setting and see if it still resembles what I saw. The ridge on the mountain is there in RAW, probably due to the quality of my Tamron cheapie lens :o - thanks for the tip there David.

Morkel Erasmus
02-10-2010, 11:47 PM
here's a quick rework...??

Ken Watkins
02-10-2010, 11:55 PM
Here's a shot I have always wanted, more room on RHS would have been nice, but you take what you can get with a Klipspringer. No problems for me with colour cast.

David Thomasson
02-11-2010, 12:02 AM
Blur looks better in the rework, Mork. I like the original color better.

Harshad Barve
02-11-2010, 12:09 AM
Excellent image Morkelbhai , Colors of OP and blurr of RP would be my choice
TFS

Marc Mol
02-11-2010, 01:41 AM
The lighting, the sideways glance and position on that rock really make for a fine image Morkel.
I gather the Tamron has moved on since then?
TFS

Morkel Erasmus
02-11-2010, 02:04 AM
thanks for the comments Ken, Marc, Harshadbhai & David...:)

Marc - the Tamron is still in my bag. It's a good rugged lens for taking on extended hikes and the macro function works decently. Will probably sell it once I move shop to the dark side ;)

Vida van der Walt
02-11-2010, 06:54 AM
So beautiful Morkel! Love the golden shimmer, environment, great pose and comp. I like the repost even more.:)

Nate Chappell
02-11-2010, 07:06 PM
A great shot in that it shows the habitat, habits and environment of this species off so nicely, congrats Morkel:cool:

Morkel Erasmus
02-12-2010, 12:50 AM
thanks Vida & Nate for your comments...