PDA

View Full Version : Hoverfly

Christopher Miller
02-09-2010, 10:34 PM
This is an image from last summer that I've just gotten around to processing. I had difficulty coming up with the right composition for this. I would have liked a real tight crop, but didn't have the pixels for it. What do you think of this crop? Any C&C would be most appreciated.

Olympus SP-550 UZ
f4.5 @ 1/100, ISO 100, -0.7 EV
Aperture priority mode, pattern metering, cloudy WB
Processed in PS CS2; cropped, curves and levels adjustment, desaturated the yellows and greens a tiny bit, noise reduction on the BG, cloned out a little light area in the BG, and subtly darkened the edges a bit

Ken Childs
02-10-2010, 07:50 AM
I think I'd like it better if the fly was closer to the UL, putting it's eyes closer to the ROT point.

The BG could use more NR, IMO. I like it the way it is but some may think the bright green BG shouldn't be so GREEN. :)

Julie Kenward
02-10-2010, 08:25 AM
Chris, try taking a little bit off the bottom and right side, getting the fly more into the LRC. It won't be a perfect ROT's but it would get his eye out of the more centered position it is now. Plus, with him in the LRC and the angle of the grass, it will draw the eye up across the image (I believe).

Nice details on the fly. I have NO problem with the color of the BG - I'd do anything to see something THAT green right about now! You might also look at darkening the shadow on the grass - might make for an interesting silhouette below the fly. ;)

Vida van der Walt
02-10-2010, 09:47 AM
I like this Christopher. The fly (this one looks pregnant ;)) is sharp with nice detail and a lovely bg. I can see why the comp was difficult. I tried a few versions and are still unsure myself. The closest I come is like Jules suggested by placing it more towards the LRC.:)

Vida van der Walt
02-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Oops! Forgive the bad English. That should read I am.:o

Markus Jais
02-10-2010, 03:31 PM
I like the composition. It works very well for me. I also like the clean background and the diagonal line of the plant.

Markus

Christopher Miller
02-10-2010, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the comments and suggestions, everyone. I appreciate it. I tried the suggested crop moving the fly closer to the LRC. Jules, I liked your suggestion of darkening the shadow so I did that too, and I also gave the BG another pass of NR. Please let me know what you think.

Julie Kenward
02-11-2010, 08:23 AM
Looks great, Christopher!

Mike Moats
02-11-2010, 05:30 PM
Hey Chris, very well done image, love the sharp details and the nice diagonal line on the grass. Great BG and like the cropped version much better.

Anita Bower
02-11-2010, 06:25 PM
I liked the first one, and like the second one even more. Detailed and sharp, nice angle to the leaf, lovely BG. :)

Ken Childs
02-11-2010, 06:27 PM
The repost looks great!

Christopher Miller
02-11-2010, 06:43 PM
Thanks a lot, everyone. Much appreciated!