PDA

View Full Version : South Florida Birding Locations

Roger Williams
02-09-2010, 06:27 PM
This forum seems to be sort of a catch-all so I'll post my inquiry here. My wife and I are driving to Sanibel Island later this month for a week's respite from Minnesota winter. This is a family vacation so I can't be spending all of my time chasing birds, although my wife will wield the binoculars and enjoy herself. Having said that, I'm interested in recommended spots for good bird photography somewhat near to Sanibel (besides Ding Darling). Thus far, I'm aware that Cape Coral may yield burrowing owls and that Little Estro Lagoon in Venice (?) and Fort Desoto in the St. Petersburg area (?) may be good spots. With limited time, I'd like to spend it productively without spending lots of time in the car or searching for locations. Any advice would be deeply appreciated.

Fabs Forns
02-09-2010, 10:25 PM
Roger, Venice Rookery is in Sarasota, exit Jacaranda off I-75 and it should be very productive. You can Google the name for driving directions. Little Estero Lagoon is in Fort Myers Beach and it may be also very good. In fact, I'm here now, helping Artie Morris with his workshop.You can check the Sanibel Pier for birds too (afternoon may be nice ) and Bungee beach is supposed to be loaded with shore birds right now.
DeSoto is always nice,, but I believe a stretch from where you are.

Enjoy Florida and good luck.
For more detailed information, you may want to buy Artie's SW Florida guide from our store, link on top of page.

David Smith
02-10-2010, 09:09 AM
Roger:

If you are going to Venice Rookery, you might also want to try Myakka River State Park. It is not that much farther and is loaded with opportunities..

Dave

Roger Williams
02-10-2010, 02:11 PM
Thanks, Fabs and Dave for the tips. I just received the SW Florida Site Book and will find it helpful. I do wish it would be reduced to text only and printed as a field reference. I personally would find that much more utilitarian and economical!

Dave - Myakka River State Park looks interesting. We may add that to our itinerary.

Matthew Gaige
02-25-2010, 01:08 PM
I live near Sanibel and besides these other places I enjoy Harnes Marsh just inland a little from Ft Myers. I always see eagles, snale kites, cranes and limpkins, otters. I have a map at http://floridawildlifephoto.blogspot.com (http://floridawildlifephoto.blogspot.com).

It is a nice walk to the back side of the lake.