PDA

View Full Version : Jalak kerbau

Bob Sumitro
02-09-2010, 01:43 AM
Here's a picture I took last sunday in a bird park. This is a jalak kerbau or achridoteres javanicus. I used auto ISO in order to keep the shutter speed high. Post processing was raw convesion using DPP and I cropped about 10% of the original.

This bird photography is difficult but it's really addictive. So far I have only taken pictures in a bird park, but I plan to go to a wildlife reserve here in the northern part of jakarta for my next "training season".
BTW, I just received Artie's books (The ABP and ABP2) a few minutes ago. Can't wait to read it.

Canon 7d, 100-400 @370mm, 1/500, f/7.1 ISO 1600.
Critique and comment please.
Bob

Lance Peters
02-09-2010, 04:12 AM
Hi Bob - get stuck into those books a wealth of info there.
Might have gone with a vertical here which would minimise the perch on the RHS - Exposure looks good , Auto ISO is not something I use - but if you can make it work for you -- go with it.
Exposure looks good - nice fine details - would sharpen the eye a tad.
Feels just a tad tight at the bottom.
Looking forward to seeing more :)

Peter Farrell
02-09-2010, 09:43 AM
Nice image, Bob. Good exposure and sharpness and I like the HA, the bird has an inquisitive look. Bright spots in the BG are alittle distracting. I agree with Lance on the vertical crop.

Julie Kenward
02-09-2010, 01:34 PM
Really nice detail in the feathers and I love the look on the bird's face! I also would consider going vertical and adding a little more room at the bottom. I also like how the BG compliments the bird's coloring.

Ákos Lumnitzer
02-09-2010, 04:32 PM
From the thumbnail it looked like the Indian Myna (A. tristis), which is a real pest in Australia. Good to see that its cousin is also another attractive looking bird. BTW, genus names are italicized in all instances. :)

Nice comp and exposure looks good too. With these sorts of poses a vertical presentation enhances the overall image. :) Thanks for sharing.

Harold Davis
02-09-2010, 08:14 PM
nice light, bob!! some fill flash may have helped open up the shadows just a bit. as is, i might crop a little off the right side. i really like the detail in the bird and the quality of the light.

Bob Sumitro
02-10-2010, 12:35 AM
Thank you very much guys.

@Lance: this was the first time I used Auto ISO, I set it at auto to see how it works and at the moment my conclusion re auto iso is that it works but I don't like it. My problem is I can't do Exposure Compensation with auto iso, can not set the exp to + or - compensation. Perhaps there's a way to do Exp Compensation but I just haven't figured out how.

One more thing. When I want to repost an image, after following the suggestion like crop it to vertical, do I replace the original image in the first post or do I post a second image in a different post and leave the original image alone?

Thanks.
Bob

Lance Peters
02-10-2010, 12:41 AM
Thank you very much guys.

@Lance: this was the first time I used Auto ISO, I set it at auto to see how it works and at the moment my conclusion re auto iso is that it works but I don't like it. My problem is I can't do Exposure Compensation with auto iso, can not set the exp to + or - compensation. Perhaps there's a way to do Exp Compensation but I just haven't figured out how.

One more thing. When I want to repost an image, after following the suggestion like crop it to vertical, do I replace the original image in the first post or do I post a second image in a different post and leave the original image alone?

Thanks.
Bob

Post a second image - that way its easy to see the differences.

Bob Sumitro
02-10-2010, 01:59 AM
Thanks Lance.
Here's a repost. Cropped to vertical.
Thanks,
bob

Lance Peters
02-10-2010, 02:17 AM
Repost works better - IMHO.
Good show :)

Edy Subiyanto
02-10-2010, 07:03 AM
Hi Bob
welcome to birdphotographers forum..
I like the second image..
where is bird park in jakarta? is it in tmii or pulau rambut?
I am from Surabaya..
Nice to meet you here...

Bob Sumitro
02-10-2010, 09:19 AM
Hi Edy, nice to meet a fellow Indonesian here. My parents live in Surabaya.

The bird park is in taman mini. There's also a wildlife refuge or reserve in Jakarta, in an area called Muara Angke. I plan to visit it this weekend. As for pulau rambut (or Hair Island), for you guys who don't know it, it's a bird refuge, a small island north of jakarta, about 30 minutes away with speedboat, I plan to go there after the rainy season. If you come to Jakarta, please let me know.

bob