PDA

View Full Version : Stargazer Lily

Julie Kenward
02-08-2010, 09:10 PM
This is another view of the stargazer lily that I bought at the grocery store last week. ("Fairy Wings" was a close-up of this flower.) If you want another view of this beauty, drop down to the OOTB forum and check out this post:

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56398

It's the same exact image only with the Fractalius plug-in from Redfield applied to it.

Canon 40D, EF100mm f/2.8 macro
f6.3 @ 1/50th, ISO 800
Manual mode, pattern metering, natural light from window
Handheld, light yellow BG is my kitchen wall. ;)

Jackie Schuknecht
02-08-2010, 09:13 PM
Like the comp and the BG Julie. Like the stem coming from the LRC to match the flow of the stamens of pistil ( not sure what they are called) with the rest of the photo. Lilies are so pretty to photograph.

Julie Brown
02-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Jules, you are really trying to draw in spring with those colors! I like this because it has more depth-the anthers are sharp and you can see the pollen grains with soft pink petals and the yellow background.

Charles Wesley
02-09-2010, 06:44 AM
Jules,

Really nice work on this one. Like tight verticals especially with the leading lines.
Thanks for sharing...

Vida van der Walt
02-09-2010, 07:18 AM
Beautiful image Jules. Love the fall of light, great detail, colours and the comp is super with that line leading up to the ULC.:)

Ken Childs
02-09-2010, 08:12 AM
I like this for the same reasons that others have already mentioned. The focus on the anthers was the perfect way to handle this!

I prefer this version to the one in the OOTB. :)

Allen Sparks
02-09-2010, 11:10 AM
Beautiful shot as others have mentioned. Love the focus on the anthers.

Markus Jais
02-09-2010, 04:45 PM
A really beautiful shot. The square works very well here. I only wish for a tiny little bit more room on the left.
Great colors and light.
The next time the weather sucks here (and it does suck a lot lately), I will try your method and buy some flowers and photography them at home. Great way to practice.

Markus

Christopher Miller
02-09-2010, 10:03 PM
Hi Jules, I like this version even better than I did the one in OOTB! :) The softer colors and contrast in this one really appeal to me. Beautiful composition and lighting.

Julie Kenward
02-10-2010, 04:31 PM
Thanks everyone...I really enjoyed this series of images from last weekend - the little bit of natural light really helped perk up both myself and the flower!