PDA

View Full Version : Just Around the Bend

Paul Marcellini
02-08-2010, 07:46 PM
I kayaked the Loxahatchee River over the weekend. It is Florida's first "Wild and Scenic River" and it definitely is both. I saw wild hogs, turtles, gators, and tons of birds and always wondered what was around the next bend. Sometimes compostions were compromised due to the depth of the river, and I also had horrible white overcast skies and 20mph winds. Tough conditions and a return trip is needed but I was pretty happy with this one.

5d2, Tamron 28-75
Lens (mm): 40
ISO: 50
Aperture: 16
Shutter: 2.5

Dave Mills
02-08-2010, 10:13 PM
Hi Paul, I would be happy with this also. You found a composition which most folks would have difficulty seeing.
The dappled light on the water is just enough without being considered hot and helping to bring out the reddish brown bottom. This bottom is acting as a foreground and also bringing your eye to the bend in the river. The lush foliage and warm colors add to the image. Well handled!!

Kobus Tollig
02-09-2010, 09:24 AM
I think Dave gave a great comment. Ditto him

Robert Amoruso
02-09-2010, 09:41 AM
Paul,

I have some technical questions for you.

Your shutter is 2.5 seconds so you would be on a tripod. Are you getting out of the kayak to make this image and setting up in the water?

How deep is the water? What are you wearing for protection on feet and legs?

I love the richness of the colors in this scene. The 5D Mark II is great for that.

Paul Marcellini
02-09-2010, 09:56 AM
Thanks guys,

Robert, yup getting out of the yak. That's where compositions were compromised. The tripod puts the camera at head height, which I'm fine with submerging the tripod that deep, but then current would usually be too strong to get something sharp. Also, sandy bottoms don't help with sharpness. =) This was maybe 3 feet deep. I am used to this type of stuff, so just shorts and barefoot when I jumped out. The gators don't bother me and I don't bother them. I definitely love my 5d2, couldn't imagine going back.

susanschermer
02-09-2010, 10:48 AM
I really admire your skills, Paul. I would have never gotten out of the yak. Oh, to be young and unafraid.
Another beautiful Florida scape for your files.

Judd Patterson
02-10-2010, 11:25 PM
Paul, this is really nice. This is 50x more scenic than the lower portion of the river that flows through Jonathan Dickinson. :) I'm always a sucker for buttressed cypress trunks and that dappled light on the water is an extra special touch. This location has been on my to-do list for years and soon I'll actually do it!

Paul Marcellini
02-11-2010, 10:08 AM
Thanks Susan!

Judd, it is such a cool area. Just wait till there are leaves on the cypress, I mean I got 3 keepers out of 5 miles...I know there is more potential than that. =)

Juan Carlos Vindas
02-12-2010, 10:59 PM
Very nice composition, yes, not too many photographers could have compose this image. Love the richness of colors and the quietness of the water.