PDA

View Full Version : Flying with Batteries

William Malacarne
02-08-2010, 04:45 PM
This was posted on another list.

http://www.infoworld.com/d/mobilize/proposed-battery-restrictions-could-crimp-e-commerce-air-travel-403?source=IFWNLE_nlt_wrapup_2010-02-08

Bill

PS I am not sure how current this info is as this is similar to what came up a few years ago. This article had today's date on it. I am trying to find more info about it.

Ed Cordes
02-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Bill, I don't think this is new. I believe the rule is that batteries loaded in the equipment they are designed for are OK. Spare batteries must have their contacts covered and be in separate plastic bags. There is a certain limit on the volume of spare batteries that can be in checked luggage. I do believe carry on spare batteries, properly secured, are OK. Check TSA rules before departing.

Jackie Schuknecht
02-08-2010, 09:03 PM
Bill, I came through customs recently (Toronto), and my batteries were openly in my camera bag, as well as double A's etc. Got through no problem. What they did take out were my allen keys for various plates, gitzo tripod etc. which really irked me. Got them back as they will store it for you and you can get it back when you get home. No probs with the batteries though.

Roger Clark
02-08-2010, 10:53 PM
I've never had a problem with batteries and carry-on. I did have batteries stolen out of checked luggage coming back from Tanzania a year ago--lost several hundred dollars in batteries and broken luggage. They broke open the zipper and pulled batteries out of a zippered pocket. The luggage had TSA locks which were fie and still locked, and they left the gitzo CF tripod and the chargers. My son's luggage had the same thing: batteries stolen and broken zippers. So I never put expensive batteries in checked luggage anymore.

Jamie Strickland
02-12-2010, 09:26 AM
no problems here ever, just flew from Detroit to Paris, then a day later from Paris to Tunisia, then back to Paris again

had a battery right in my bag

Bob Ettinger
02-13-2010, 10:21 AM
Just got back from a trip in the US with batteries in camera and spare AA all over the place. At one airport thye never even looked and at another they took them out and rescanned them and then gave them back. No problems