PDA

View Full Version : Mushroom on dead tree

Markus Jais
02-08-2010, 04:20 PM
EOS 7D, Sigma 3.5/180 Macro, tripod.

I found this mushroom on a dead tree felled by a beaver.
I left my EF 3.5/180L at home but my 2.8/100 had a too wide angle of view. A friend was kind enough to lend me his Sigma 3.5/180.

Hope you like it.

Markus

Julie Kenward
02-08-2010, 07:13 PM
Markus, I like the little mushroom you found! It's in pretty good shape and fairly clean and that always helps! I reworked your composition a bit, taking some off the top and right side so the mushroom sat more in the ROT's position. I also cloned over the one round orb that was in your BG just to the right of the shroom.

I did a levels adjustment as well - I hit "auto" and it pulled the extra yellow out of the image so the mushroom and tree looked a bit more natural (nothing wrong with the yellow cast - it was probably some nice morning light but it was a little heavy to me.) I then darkened the tree area so it wasn't quite as bright as the mushroom, helping the shroom stand out a bit more in the image. Finally, I gave it another round of sharpening - just on the shroom - so it would really stand out. That's a great trick for helping the mind find the focal object - make it sharper than everything else - just don't go overboard.

See what you think of this...again, keep in mind they are just suggestions. You have a good image in the first place and some times a few small changes can really take it up another notch.

Markus Jais
02-09-2010, 01:17 AM
Julie, thank you for the repost and the detailed explanations. That was very helpful and informative!

Markus

Vida van der Walt
02-09-2010, 08:32 AM
I like this Markus. Great textures and detail. Rework looks even better.:)

Stuart Frohm
02-09-2010, 09:54 AM
I agree that both the original and the tweaked version are quite nice. I prefer the tweaked version's tighter crop and darker background.
I'm looking forward to seeing more of your photos, Markus, and to photographing more Michigan mushrooms this year.
Stu

Allen Sparks
02-09-2010, 12:03 PM
I like the original and find it an interesting composition on the edge of the bark. The repost is a great rework that gives even more attention to the subject.