PDA

View Full Version : Courtship behavior

Dan Fleming
02-08-2010, 10:51 AM
This is from last year at the Audubon Swamp near Charlestion SC. This is a Great Egret showing part of the courtship ritual seen during breeding season. I know the bg is a bit busy but I still like this because the bird is so beautiful in this pose.

1DsMarkIII, Canon 600mm D IS, full frame, Tripod with Wimberly, f/8.0, 1/1250s, ISO 200, EC -0.67, Av mode, early morning shoot.

Thanks for looking. C & C always appreciated. Enjoy!

Justin Reznick
02-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Fantastic behavior capture Dan! Love the spread feathers! In a perfect world I would love to get rid of all the elements of the image besides the bird, the nest, and the background. The 2 horizontal branches and the misc. hanging stuff is distracting, especially the piece to the left of the bird closest to the viewer.

Daniel Cadieux
02-08-2010, 12:02 PM
As mentioned by yourself the BG is rather busy, but this is where it chose to make its' nest! I do wish the top branch wasn't so close to the bill. I also find the mottled light unfortunate and would have preferred a fully illuminated individual. Not sure if it is possible at this location a different ime of day? I do like the "hardwood forest" feel to the image and the breeding plumage in full display is impressive.

Stu Bowie
02-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Dan, I like the splayed feather display, and I like reds of the BG intermingled between the feathers. I wish the top branch wasnt there. ( Thanks for your mail. )