PDA

View Full Version : Northern Shrike

Jeff Nadler
02-08-2010, 10:47 AM
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/4358/northernshrike085a.jpg

Wintering from the arctic, I found this bird close to home, hunting from a thorn-filled shrub. I am wondering how much the branch crossing the bird is viewed as a negative? I feel it is not ideal but adds color. It could be cloned out perhaps but then leaves a weaker dark perch and a rather sterile habitat.

Canon 500mm F4 IS x 2 on 40D meant manual focus, a bit of fill flash, ISO 400, F8 of course. From parked car.

Dan Fleming
02-08-2010, 10:58 AM
Hi Jeff,

What a beautiful bird. I love the pose, the clarity, and the exposure which looks to me to be right on the money. I do think the branch does detract some. I wish we could move it just below the bird. (no problem, right?) Oh well, if wishes were nickels I'd be pretty rich. Keep them coming.

Dan

Dave Leroy
02-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Nice shot Very sharp and I like the pose. The branch does detract some, howver it is a good idea of the habitat the birds are often in or around. We have had more than normal numbers of shrike around this winter and I have often seen them in or near the same locations over a period of several days. Nicely done on the colours. Dave

Phil Ertel
02-08-2010, 05:03 PM
Hi Jeff, I like the pose and open beak. Your exposure looks good to me. As far as the branch crossing the bird is concerned I find it a little distracting but I can live with it. The bigger issue for me is the out-of-focus brown blob. In my opinion it makes the image heavy on the left.