PDA

View Full Version : Just leaf me at the lake...

Morkel Erasmus
02-07-2010, 02:01 PM
Hey everyone...

I actually created and processed this image more than 6 months ago, and never got round to uploading it here on BPN. I probably am streets ahead in terms of processing compared to when I was then, but before I give it a rework I would love to know what you think.

This is a gradient blend of 2 exposures in Photoshop. This particular morning we went to the Marievale Bird Sanctuary to get some avian shooting done, only to be thwarted by dense fog...so we switched to landscape mode and improvised.

I have to confess that I placed the red leaf on the rock to provide a colour foil for the dreary scene.

All comments most welcome!

Techs:
Canon 1000D with 18-55mm IS @ 18mm
f16 @ ISO-200
tripod mounted

David Thomasson
02-07-2010, 05:15 PM
Everything about this works for me ... comp, color, mood. About the only I might do is brighten the fogbound sun just a little :cool: to make it consistent with the reflection. Very creative thinking, placing the leaf there, and the placement strikes me as just right. Nice work!!

MIHAIL OBADA
02-07-2010, 07:59 PM
Hi Morkel!

...I placed the red leaf on the rock... - well you did, refreshes composition, a drop of color.

A small remark, if you please: Sharp seems a bit much, like to see halo around the leaves thin.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii109/mihailo_2008/_marievale-mist-landscape_HDR_darke.jpg

He, he, to me it says that I quite sharp in images!

Best regards!

Dave Mills
02-07-2010, 10:47 PM
Hi Morkel, Nice mood and an interesting foreground but I might reduce the saturation a bit on the leaf. Compositionally the image seems a bit weighted on the left. IMO the sun isn't strong enough to carry the balance on the right.
However due to the neutral color of the fog and backround it almost appears part of the image is B/W with a foreground in color. Makes for interesting viewing...

D. Robert Franz
02-08-2010, 08:53 AM
Sun in the upper right PP might balance things a bit more.. Lovely mood here.. Well done!

Kobus Tollig
02-09-2010, 09:37 AM
Ditto Halos but you did well here. I remember the morning so well.