PDA

View Full Version : Buttercup

Aidan Briggs
02-07-2010, 12:16 PM
I went out for a walk in the forest yesterday with my macro. I believe this is some type of buttercup. I didn't have my tripod with me hence the high ISO.

50D, 60mm macro,
1/200 sec, f/3.5, ISO 640

Julie Brown
02-07-2010, 02:09 PM
Aidan, I like the composition and the BG. To my eye it seems it a little flat.

Grahame Hamblin
02-07-2010, 03:32 PM
Hi to me there are two photos here. Would cut in half and try and lighten stem a little just my thoughts.

Ken Childs
02-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Hi to me there are two photos here. Would cut in half and try and lighten stem a little just my thoughts.
I was thinking along the same lines. You might want to try a portrait crop with just the flower.

Julie Kenward
02-07-2010, 08:14 PM
Aidan, I don't mind your comp here - I like the balance that the unopened side brings to the other open flower. I especially like the little green bug sitting on top of the center buttercup!

I also feel this is a bit flat - probably the lighting - was this taken right after a rain in overcast weather? One suggestion that I have is to consider cloning over the shiny wet areas on two of the petals - they are a bit distracting to me.

Aidan Briggs
02-07-2010, 10:39 PM
Thanks everyone. I would not cut this in half as the comp would be very boring IMO. It is much more balanced as it is, and it was actually the stem that was in the same plane of focus as the flower that caught my eye.

I agree about it being a bit flat. Jules hit the nail on the head. It had just rained and it was overcast.

Markus Jais
02-08-2010, 04:24 PM
I like this a lot. The diagonal line between the two main subjects works well for me. I also like the light.
A polarizer might have helped to remove some of the reflections on the yellow flower.

Markus

Peter Farrell
02-08-2010, 05:32 PM
I like the overall composition but its a little soft for me.

Vida van der Walt
02-09-2010, 08:26 AM
Lovely image Aidan. I like the comp, dof, detail and the little green plant lice is great.:)

Anita Bower
02-11-2010, 06:13 PM
The notion of photographing a flower in the woods at this time of year is mind-boggling. We have 3.5 feet of snow on the ground. Nice color and out of focus BG. I agree with Jules about cloning the over bright spots on the petals. :)