PDA

View Full Version : Gatorland and St. Aug Alligator Farm

john j. henderson
02-07-2010, 10:42 AM
I visited Gatorland last weekend (around Feb 1) and St. Aug Alligator Farm yesterday (Feb 6). Things are really hopping at Gatorland with multiple birds building nests, sitting on nests, flying around, etc. Gatorland is ideal now for lenses in the 70-600mm range.

St. Aug has a few birds on nests (Great Egrets and Wood Storks) but they are a bit in the distance. There are Night Herons and other Egrets close enough for lenses in the 300mm range but most of the nests are best for 500-600mm range.

It has been much colder in the NE Florida area and I believe this may be part of the reason their is more activity at Gatorland.

Mike Godwin
02-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Hi John!

South Florida is normally 2 -3 weeks ahead of Central Florida and Central Florida about 2-3 weeks ahead of North Florida as far as birding activity. Things are indeed hopping here at Gatorland now, but words can only convey so much... here's a shot from Gatorland late yesterday (2/6/10) so folks can have a better understanding of whats going on.

http://gatorland.com/blogs/rookery/files/2010/02/dsc_7790-copy.jpg

Harold Davis
02-07-2010, 01:29 PM
thanks for the updates, guys!! mike, how much does it cost for you to guarantee good light!!!!!?:D

Mike Godwin
02-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Gee Harold, that would be one heck of a guarentee... especially in Florida! But seriously, even overcast days can be good, less chance of blowing out the whites ;)

Rene A
02-07-2010, 02:54 PM
Harold,

Mike guaranteed me a free Season Pass:)

john j. henderson
02-07-2010, 03:33 PM
Agree with Mike, it is easy to add flash to help with the lighting.

Fabs Forns
02-07-2010, 04:29 PM
Harold was kidding, we've seen an add guarantying good light at Gatorland. Not from Mike, I should add :)

Fabs Forns
02-07-2010, 05:16 PM
St. Aug has a few birds on nests (Great Egrets and Wood Storks) but they are a bit in the distance. There are Night Herons and other Egrets close enough for lenses in the 300mm range but most of the nests are best for 500-600mm range.

It has been much colder in the NE Florida area and I believe this may be part of the reason their is more activity at Gatorland.

Alligator Farm peaks in April and May, as noted, because of the geographical location. Then, you will have nests within the 70-200 nests. Most workshops there are held in the month of May, where you can have breeding colors and chicks.

Mike Godwin
02-08-2010, 10:56 PM
Harold was kidding, we've seen an add guarantying good light at Gatorland. Not from Mike, I should add :)

Aahh yes, I do recall that Maxis had stated something about Gatorland's lighting last year. To be honest, he was right, although his "guarentee" may have been misinterpreted. I believe what "he who shall not be named" was trying to say was that Gatorland has a rather unique lighting opportunity, due to the orientation of the east bank across the water to the western setting sun. For example, unlike the SAAF which has a fairly narrow corridor, the Gatorland Rookery is wide open, allowing the late afternoon sun to bounce light off the vegetation all along the east bank and into the water creating a myriad of effects that can be used as a background. The "openess" of Gatorland's Rookery does allow for more light to enter than some other places, but as to whether the sun will shine on any particular day is beyond my precognitive powers.

One of the things I have found here at BPN is that there seems to be a lot of underlying politics, so I feel the need to make sure everyone understands my purpose in being a part of this BPN community. First and foremost I am a nature lover. Born and raised at my families tourist attraction, I have always been surrounded by animals. I'm also a photographer... well, at least I try to be one. ;) I like showing off my pictures just as much as anyone, and I am here to try and increase my level of proficiency. There are a lot of really good photographers here, with a lot of knowledge to share, and that is what this board is all about.

As a representative of Gatorland, I walk a fine line of not appearing to "market" Gatorland's Rookery. My goal is to simply inform those interested as to the opportunities available to them, and the current activities within the Rookery. Florida is blessed with having several great birding locations, some of which are free and some that aren't. The SAAF has had a photographer program for many, many years. It is a great place to view the birds close-up and personal, due to their acclimation to people. The birds nest very close to the walkways over the alligator habitat, using the reptiles below as their own personal bodygards. One thing to keep in mind was that this was accidental, the SAAF boardwalk was not built for bird photographers, it was made for tourists to view the gators. Having the birds come was an added bonus to their new walkway. Personally, I like the SAAF and would never discourage anyone from going there, in fact I encourage folks to visit all the great bird hangouts. The SAAF has great opportunties to view nature not found at most state parks, even though it does cost money to photograph there.

In contrast, Gatorland's Rookery is fairly new, being built in 1991. When we built the Alligator Breeding Marsh it was designed for wildlife viewing, it's big (10 acres) with wider walkways, a 3 story Observation Tower, and covered gazebos with benches and power. We knew, based upon the SAAF's experience that the birds may come... and indeed they did. However, Gatorland never had any type of Photographer program that catered to early/late access. All that changed about 3 years ago when I instituted Gatorland's "Dawn to Dusk" photographer program, so now everyone has an opportunity to take advantage of our great nature display that used to be my private shooting gallery! :D

You can thank Arthur Morris for convincing me that it would be a worthwile endeavour to start a photography program, and I have to say it's been worth it. I like to think I have the best job in the world, I get to not only shoot in the Rookery every day, but I get to meet a lot of really nice folks, and I even get to pick up a few tips here and there. Those folks that do come to visit, I'll give you this guarentee... you will have no shortage of opportunities. Whether you capture that opportunity is up to you! :)

In closing, I'd like to compare the SAAF and Gatorland to rival football teams, like the Gators and the Seminoles. Two good football teams, both in our great state. Even though I'm a Florida Gator (I know... in more ways than one) I still like to watch the Seminoles play. Both teams are going to have their "boosters", but hey, no matter which team you root for it's all football (photography) and great fun!

Fabs Forns
02-08-2010, 11:07 PM
Mike, your personal innuendos with the "one who should not be named" are of no interest to the BPN communitiy.
And yes, you do walk a very thin line.

James Shadle
02-09-2010, 12:04 AM
Mike,

Aahh yes, I do recall that Maxis had stated something about Gatorland's lighting last year. To be honest, he was right,
In light of recent news relating to Mr. Gamez , it might not be a bad idea to put some distance between yourself and Mr.Gamez, rather than showing him support on a forum he has been banned from.

"One of the things I have found here at BPN is that there seems to be a lot of underlying politics,"
I don't appreciate your allegation. You need to explain "underlying politics". You've got my neck throbbing and that ain't easy to do.

I work very hard to keep politics out of our forum community of over 8000 people.
Perhaps your getting your information from persons who have an axe to grind or who because of raw ambition will do or say anything to make themselves look better and others worse.

Who are you going to believe, who are you going to align yourself with?

Mike Godwin
02-09-2010, 12:49 AM
James, this is what I meant about underlying politics...

For the record, I have no knowledge of the issues between BPN and Maxis, other than hearing he was no longer a moderator in this forum and was involved in some sort of photo contest "scandal". This issue does not concern me or Gatorland, as we welcome all photographers regardless of their personal or professional relationships. Personally, I think he is a good photographer and all of his workshop folks I spoke with enjoyed his program. That being said, I can appreciate the "persona non grata" status of Mr. Gamez here at BPN, so I will not dwell upon the subject, and in deference to this site, will not mention his name, for he is Valdemort!

James Shadle
02-09-2010, 01:14 AM
How is that politics.
You did not answer my question.

Mike Godwin
02-09-2010, 02:26 AM
Dear James,

To clarify, this conversation has now become "political" by you asking me to distance myself from someone and to not show support. As well, you have asked me to basically choose a side. I don't know if agreeing with a comment is showing support for the individual as much as it is showing support for the comment, or more specifically, the idea of the comment. If the truth is spoken by a liar, does that make it any less true?

I am sorry if the comment caused your neck to throb... it was not my intention to do so.

Harold Davis
02-09-2010, 06:11 AM
geez, mike. you read entirely too much into my comment!! it was totally a joke. i was just having a little fun. had no clue anyone had ever made a comment reference the light at your place. only meant that it's a heck of a drive for me and it would be nice to have some good light!!! that's the only thing that i meant!!

sorry to have offended if i did.

allanrube
02-09-2010, 09:06 AM
Thanks for any information you can give. That is all I care about.

James Shadle
02-09-2010, 04:39 PM
Thanks for any information yu can give. That is all I care about.

A wise man:).

john j. henderson
02-09-2010, 04:40 PM
You've got my neck throbbing and that ain't easy to do.

Wow, that is a first. I have known James for many years and never seen him even begin to show stress or anger.

I was reluctant to get involved with BPN because I had made some mistakes in the past (concerning Artie) but not in connection with BPN. I made my amends and apologies; I enjoy the fellowship on this forum and I hope I have valued information to occasionally add to the discussions.

Mike, I hope you keep us "up to date" concerning Gatorland. You are the reason I went to see the park and also a big reason I decided to join for a year. I live in Jacksonville now and will only be in the states for a few more months but I knew I would be down enough to make the pass worthwhile.

Fabs Forns
02-09-2010, 05:31 PM
I enjoy the fellowship on this forum and I hope I have valued information to occasionally add to the discussions.

John, I was very happy when I saw you join and participate. You do live a very interesting life and sharing your experiences with us will be a treat. Without even going into saying you are a very talented photographer.
Thanks for being around.

john j. henderson
02-09-2010, 05:43 PM
John, I was very happy when I saw you join and participate. You do live a very interesting life and sharing your experiences with us will be a treat. Without even going into saying you are a very talented photographer.
Thanks for being around.

Back at you Fab and Al;

Few of us make a total "donkey" (insert slang word here) of themselves better than I did and will continue to do. I am delighted Artie forgave me and others were willing to see beyond my misdeads.

I would not wish this life on anyone but I love it.
I leave for Russia July 1, moving some equipment over at end of March. I am finishing my plans for a month at Lake Baikal, Russia (July 2010). This is the worlds deepest lake and contains 20% of all available freshwater. Also the home to the Baikal Freshwater Seal. That will be followed by a year at Muraviovka Park in Far East Russia with two month long side trips (April 2011 and September 2011) to photograph the Ural Moose (they call them Elk over there), then a year in Yakutia (Siberia-well above Arctic Circle-the coldest inhabited place on earth, Anarctica is not full-time inhabited) photographing the Yakutian Ponies and the Reindeer.

Fabs Forns
02-09-2010, 06:24 PM
Geeeeez, please keep us posted when you have internet access!!!

And Alfred says hi :)

James Shadle
02-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Mike, in all fairness you brought up "a name" we did not.

Please understand I have a duty to protect BPN and it's members. Because of that duty I occasionally have to make difficult decisions regarding staff and/or members.

In the event I find it necessary to terminate a staff position or membership, I do so without disclosing any information regarding the matter to the public. Our policy of not disclosing personal information can put us in a difficult public relations position. Our desire not to embarrass anyone has been taken advantage of by those who wish to discredit BPN.

If you have information about "politics" on BPN, please consider the source.

IMO this discussion is not about politics. It is about running an organization by it's rules and guidelines, while trying to insure an enjoyable forum experience for all who choose to participate in accordance with those rules and guidelines.

All of that aside, Gatorland is a premier bird photography location that I enjoy as much as I do the Alligator Farm.

I'm closing the thread. If you wish to continue the conversation, please do so via PM.

Thanks,
James