PDA

View Full Version : Stairway to....

Anita Rakestraw
02-06-2010, 07:35 PM
I probably should post this in ETL, but since the landscape experts are here....

Flinthills of Kansas scenery is not as dramatic as that in other parts of the country, but it's what's most available to me right now....so I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts on how I could have improved this image. It's a 3 image hdr, something I'm playing with currently.

1DMk3, 20-70mm @ 70mm
f/22; ss of 1/60, 1/100, 1/160; ISO 400
Small crop from right and top
Beanbag for support
Processed using curves, some sharpening and NR

Dave Mills
02-07-2010, 10:50 AM
Hi Anita, Good job on the hdr since I couldn't tell it was done that way. First off I would crop the bottom up to where the weeds show seed heads.(about half way up) The covering of the stairs by the weeds take away some of their interest. Not knowing what would be shown at other angles it's difficult for me to recommend what other angle to shoot this at but I would have tried to find a position where the stairs were leading the viewer into the image as opposed to being placed on the side. Just an idea...

Dave Leroy
02-08-2010, 05:09 PM
I also like the idea of a crop off the bottom and an interesting idea of using the stairs to lead into the photo. I really like the colours and look of the hills, valley and sky in the bg. Dave

Jay Gould
02-08-2010, 05:18 PM
Hi, at f/22 I am having trouble finding "somewhere" tack sharp; where was the focus point?

Anita Rakestraw
02-08-2010, 05:21 PM
D and Dave, thanks very much. I'm playing alot with landscapes lately (such as we have here) and would like to develop the skill to do them in the best way possible. You've been helpful, and I will keep working at it. :)

Anita Rakestraw
02-08-2010, 05:28 PM
Focus point was on the stairway, Jay, but I was trying to get it all sharp with f/22 and on my monitor at full size, it appears sharper than it does here. Thanks for stopping.