PDA

View Full Version : More Flowers for My Wife (Part 2)

Ed Vatza
02-21-2008, 09:19 PM
Plucked another stem from the vase made a few more images.

Rebel XT, Sigma 70mm f/2.8 Macro, 430 EX Flash, Tripod-mounted

2.0 sec at f/22, ISO 400, EC +1, Flash

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/EdV_02/0802__076_1.jpg

Robert Amoruso
02-21-2008, 11:15 PM
Ed,

I like this composition a lot. Half the flower coming in at the left and black BG on the right. Interesting balance. It works for me.

John Cooper
02-21-2008, 11:43 PM
Unusual flower composition Ed showing excellent detail - good light control on the whites!!

Ed Vatza
02-22-2008, 06:48 AM
Thank you Robert. Thank you John. I am pleased with how this image turned out. I like the way the flower juxtaposes with the black background.

If you look at the thumbnail you will see more black to the right. After originally posting last night I quickly went back in and cropped a bit from the right because it looked like too much black to me. I think the cropped image (as posted here) looks much better!

Robert O'Toole
02-22-2008, 11:27 AM
Clean and attractive image, different and pleasing composition.

Robert

Mike Moats
02-22-2008, 06:43 PM
Hey Ed, I like the comp, and good job on the whites. Water drops always add a nice touch. I agree with your idea to do the crop on the right.

Ed Vatza
02-23-2008, 07:53 AM
Thanks Robert. Thanks Mike.

I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback. I tried a number of different compositions and liked this one the best. I did feel it was a bit different and I thought the white on black worked real well particularly after I cropped a bit of the black from the right. It seemed to balance the image better. And the fact that I managed not to blow out the whites was icing on the cake! :D

Gotta tell you a funny story. As I said, I am relatively new at this macro photography. My wife goes along with these things and when I wanted to buy a macro lens as a Christmas gift, she was very cool with it. So she looks at this image and asks me why I bought a lens that will allow me to only fit half the flower? :confused: Guess I have some explaining to do! ;)

Jeroen Stel
02-25-2008, 06:12 AM
Great choice of composition and the contrast between the dark BG and the white flower with those lovely water-droplets works well here!

Greetings,

Jeroen Stel