PDA

View Full Version : Blast Off

Jim Caldwell
02-05-2010, 10:49 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4033/4333330653_6f262a5d15_o.jpg

Created with Fractalius, masking techniques, and layer modes from an image taken at Fort DeSoto.

Julie Kenward
02-06-2010, 08:24 AM
Jim, as soon as I opened this image up the movie, "The Birds" came to mind! ;):eek::) I really enjoy the gradient of the sky here and the way the birds are all co-mingling with the layers. I'd be tempted to clean up some of the birds near the edges - especially on the middle to top right side of the frame.

Kerry Perkins
02-06-2010, 02:09 PM
Hi Jim! Haven't seen you on the forum for a while - good to have you back. Love the gradient colors in the sky and the treatement on the terns. I like the dimensionality of the image and how the birds meld into the horizon and then come back to the front of frame. Nice one!

Jackie Schuknecht
02-06-2010, 02:11 PM
Love the BG Jim and love these type of shots with lots of birds. Since the birds are heading right, I might just evict some on the right edge of the frame.

Jim Caldwell
02-06-2010, 03:30 PM
Yes, I've been bad and haven't been on in awhile! I agree with everyone's comments - I should have removed the birds that are heading out of the right of the frame. I promise I won't stay away so long this time!!

denise ippolito
02-06-2010, 08:26 PM
Jim, Glad you decided to share this with us. The image has some beautiful colors and the frac. work is subtle. I agree w/ evicting some of the birds on the edge. Do you know what caused the lines in the BG?

Arthur Morris
02-06-2010, 08:45 PM
I love the Fracting effect. Any clue as to what pre-set you used? The big problem is that the image lacks a clean lower edge... The basic principles of image design apply even when Fracting :)

Jim Caldwell
02-06-2010, 09:03 PM
Jim, Glad you decided to share this with us. The image has some beautiful colors and the frac. work is subtle. I agree w/ evicting some of the birds on the edge. Do you know what caused the lines in the BG?

Thank you Denise for looking - it was your work in Art's newsletter that inspired me to try this! The lines are caused by the ocean waves in the original image as far as I can tell.

Cindy Mead
02-06-2010, 09:05 PM
this has an almost comic-strip appearance (and I mean that in a good way) that I really enjoy Jim. Quite a unique take on the fract. program, very creative :)

Jim Caldwell
02-06-2010, 09:08 PM
I love the Fracting effect. Any clue as to what pre-set you used? The big problem is that the image lacks a clean lower edge... The basic principles of image design apply even when Fracting :)

Hi Art and thank you for your comments. I believe the pre-set was Lines - I adjusted them to my liking, then applied the shading in Photoshop. Thank you for including this filter in you recent newsletters!