PDA

View Full Version : Myakka question

allanrube
02-05-2010, 02:34 PM
I am in Fl with my non photographer wife. I spend a lot of time shooting to the point where she gets impatient waiting. I heard about Circle B but when we drove through I missed seeing where all the good birds were as I did not know the place.

Next week I am thinking of going to Myakka. Michael Pancier wrote:

Another place you may want to consider is Myakka River State Park in Sarasota if you can get there when the park opens; lots of owl opportunities there as well as other species. It's a beautiful park.

In an effort cut down on time not taking photos, could someone who knows the park download this image and mark up where the owls might be. You can post it back here or email it to be at: arube570@gmail.com

TIA

http://www.allanrube.com/photos/781506172_spygs-X3.gif

Harold Davis
02-05-2010, 05:21 PM
if anyone knows, i'd like to see them post the updated map back here!! i've been to myakka. didnt see any owls, but if i was an owl there's not many places there that i wouldnt want to live inside the park. pretty cool place! the canopy walkway is really neat.

David Smith
02-05-2010, 09:26 PM
Alan:

E-mail sent..

Dave

allanrube
02-05-2010, 09:30 PM
Thanks Dave.

Michael Pancier
02-05-2010, 09:30 PM
the area where the nature trail and canopy area has a thick canopy of palms and other trees. there was a barred owl who hung out there; but unless you hear it or use a call, you may not spot them.

Likewise, along the road adjacent to the river, there is a large amount of trees which provide cover to owls; deer; hogs; etc. you simply have to drive slow and listen. the park is not that large to drive through. I've put in a email to my friend who lives out there to get a current update. The ibird is very handy here esp. for hawks and owls.

Don Hamilton Jr.
02-08-2010, 08:31 AM
I'd also be intersted in a map, etc, with any details, as i plan to go there this saturday. Any tips is appreciated! THks
Don

allanrube
02-22-2010, 04:41 PM
Don,
Did you have any luck there when you went?

Don Hamilton Jr.
02-22-2010, 07:33 PM
Hey Alan, we had a major cold front, with several inches of rain, and then bitter cold... including frost... so i canceled. We'll try again, and keep you in the loop...don